INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

scheduler: counter remains at zero for remotely saved capture jobs

• Thank you received: 94
3.5.9 stable

Hi everyone
indi running at the telescope
EKOS as client
capture selected to save to remote indi server
The files are saved correctly on the server as expected but the counter is not updated.

A scheduler job remain s at 0/0 throughout but counts OK with capture set to local. Fails for both the simulator and actual jobs.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Steve

log esl and esq attached.
1 year 9 months ago #83658
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No?
OK. Just a yes/no question...
Does the scheduler count remote captures?
TIA
1 year 9 months ago #83739

• Thank you received: 559
Hi Steve,

I'm not 100% certain this is answers your question, but let me try my best, and please follow up if I misinterpreted. This is what I believe happens.

When running Ekos on the same machine as where image files are captured/stored, if you select the scheduler option called "Remember Job Progress" (in KStarsSettings->Ekos->Scheduler), then the scheduler and capture cooperate and does not repeat existing captures from previous Ekos session. So, if a scheduler job requires 8 red and 8 blue captures, and you had 7 reds and 3 blues on disk in the right directory, then the new job would just capture 1 red and 5 blues. If that job were "repeat until terminated", then, after those captures, it would restart all try to capture a new set of 8 reds and all 8 blues, and on and on.

Alternatively, if you were running Ekos on a remote machine, NOT the machine where images are captured, then it would act as if "Remember Job Progress" were unchecked, and each time the scheduler runs the job, it would attempt to capture the full 8 reds and 8 blues.

The key is that the scheduler directly checks the local filesystem when "Remember Job Progress" is checked, and if it doesn't see files on the local file system, it assumes they have not been captured. There is no communication with a remote indi server to see what files have been previously captured.

So, I guess you could say that for "remote captures" it counts remote captures for the current scheduler session, but it doesn't remember them across sessions.

Hy
1 year 9 months ago #83740

Thanks Hy

In fact when the captures are NOT set to be on the box running EKOS, the scheduler doesn't remember anything. In my case, it simply repeats the current job forever as (as you say) it doesn't know how many images have been stored on the remote box.

Your last bit:
".... for remote captures" it counts remote captures for the current scheduler session, but it doesn't remember them across sessions"
Doesn't follow as in my case, the scheduler remembers neither the number of captures for current session nor across sessions.

I wonder that because of this there is a bug and indeed the scheduler should remember the captures for the current session; I do I have "Remember Job Progress" checked.

Thanks again for your help.
Steve
1 year 9 months ago #83741

Scheduler does not count remote files as you observed.
1 year 9 months ago #83749

• Thank you received: 559
Steve,

I have put in a merge request to try and fix this bug.
See invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/merge_requests/653
It will be reviewed by Eric.

If you are not familiar with getting code from merge requests, but want to test, you can always just copy in the few lines from scheduler.cpp that I added.
See invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/merge_requests/653/diffs

Hy
The following user(s) said Thank You: alacant
1 year 9 months ago #83753

Thanks Hy
I copied the new code into scheduler.cpp and scheduler.h after a git pull and built.

I can confirm that it now works fine. The scheduler moves onto the next job after the correct number of captures or shuts down when the last job ends. The captures are stored correctly on the remote computer.

The Capture counter in the scheduler still remains at zero however:
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by alacant.
1 year 9 months ago #83765
Attachments:

Unfortunately there seems to be a problem.
From GitHub:

'Merge blocked: the source branch must be rebased onto the target branch.
The source branch is 1 commit behind the target branch'
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by alacant.
1 year 9 months ago #83781

Time to create page: 1.914 seconds