INDI Library v1.9.8 Released (29 Sep 2022)

Bi-monthly INDI Library released with new drivers and bug fixes.

Flats and dark flats job wizard - no pause

• Thank you received: 5
Hi
I’m just at the point in my learning curve where I’m trying to improve my calibration frames.

From what I can tell for a cmos based camera (in my case a sony a7rii) I need darks, flats and dark flats (rather than biases). So I’ve got myself a light panel and have used the flats wizard to take flats around 8000 adu. Camera is 14 bit so I believe I need to have values around that and the frames captured seem ok.

Having done that I thought I would get the other wizard on the capture tab to add dark flats to the job queue after I’ve added flats. It works adds the dark flats to the queue, then I set it going, it works out the exposure takes the flats and immediately starts taking the dark flats. However there is no pause between the two to enable me to make things dark.

Is there some way of putting in a pause between the two jobs ? Or is there something I’m missing?

Regards

Nigel
2 months 4 weeks ago #84021

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 127
EKOS usually asks to cover the optics if the camera doesn't have a shutter. An DSLR obviously has one. Have you checked if yours does open the shutter in dark mode? It probably doesn't.
openSUSE Tumbleweed KStars git INDI git
GPDX+EQMOD, CEM60EC, ASI2600/1600/290mini+EFW+EAF
2 months 4 weeks ago #84023

You can add a "Pre-job script" to the flat darks. Create a file call it delay.sh

#!/bin/bash

sleep 5
exit 0

save it and chmod +x to mark it as executable and select it. Change 5 seconds to whatever value you like. I think I need to add regular delays the script editor as well so this script won't be necessary.
Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?
Add your observatory info
2 months 4 weeks ago #84024

• Thank you received: 127
Yes, general delay and maybe a stop (opening a modal to click to continue) sounds great!

However, I just tried this using the Simulator, but I can only define one script that will be valid for all sequences in that run - am I doing something wrong?
openSUSE Tumbleweed KStars git INDI git
GPDX+EQMOD, CEM60EC, ASI2600/1600/290mini+EFW+EAF
2 months 4 weeks ago #84027

@Peter I’ve wondered about that in the past and for some reason didn’t think it kept the shutter closed. Will have a play as that would be great.

@Jasem If Peters suggestion doesn’t pan out I will give that a go. Couldn’t the dark flats just follow the same type of process that darks follow and ask to cover the telescope? NB I currently tend to set things to take a batch of images and then sit and wait rather than set up a whole set of things so I’m not sure if that happens with darks when there’s a set of jobs

Thanks

Nigel
2 months 4 weeks ago #84028

ok just tried taking darks, dark flats and biases and didn’t get a single prompt to cover my camera lens. I’m sure I have in the past.
The camera took all the images using the shutter. The biases at an automatic speed supposedly of a blistering 1/32000 which I would have thought is faster than the camera can go.
Tried doing darks using the dark library with the same result.

The indi device log gave a warning saying my camera had no shutter and I needed to cover it.
2 months 4 weeks ago #84030

Time to create page: 0.746 seconds