INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Simulator Solver Fail

• Thank you received: 5

Simulator Solver Fail was created by Phil

Hello, I'm trying to go through a tutorial here on how to create mosaics, so I'm using the simulators in Ekos. One of the first steps is to have proper location settings. So I chose the "simple" target on M31 for my test, go to the align module and hit Capture & Solve, but the solver goes through 10 iterations and indicates a fail. Apparently as I was writing this, it continued on, additionally failing, as you can see below.

How does a simulator fail in plate solving? I have the entire astrometry database installed. I was reminded that one other time trying to the get the guide module to guide using the simulators also would fail, so what would cause the simulators to fail plate solving?

Thanks.
1 year 8 months ago #84211
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Phil on topic Simulator Solver Fail

Never mind, I just realized I forgot to the Ekos to slew the mount to the target.

Problem solved LOL.
1 year 8 months ago #84212

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Simulator Solver Fail

Phil,

Not really sure what the issue is, but in case this is helpful, from your screenshot I can tell that the plate-solving itself is succeeding. It is taking pictures and solving them. What is failing, though, is that it seemingly cannot slew to the right place. Every time it solves, the solved DEC is 90, and the solved RA is just moving by a few seconds. Could it be that you're parked, or something like that?

Hy
1 year 8 months ago #84213

I just checked, and as I just posted, I forgot to tell Ekos to slew the mount to the target. So it successfully solved. Still a mystery why I couldn't autoguide in a previous test run.

However, now that I have "proper" coordinates, how do I transfer that data to the scheduler module? I tried to copy and paste, but that wouldn't take.

Thanks for your reply.
1 year 8 months ago #84214

On the scheduler tab, you can either fill-in the coordinates by hand in the RA/DEC boxes, use the search feature (the magnifying glass button to the right of the Target box) to fill in coordinates for you for named objects, or use the little square button to the right of the RA/DEC boxes to fill in the coordinates at the center of the skymap.
1 year 8 months ago #84215

I did not realize that the mosaic creator box was syncing up with the KStars data. I noticed however that once the mosaic data was created, the target, coordinates, and sequence boxes continue to have red asterisks next to them, which to me implies it still needs something updated? The boxes did update, and all the tile data was entered in the sequence area. Is it good to go from there? This is just a sim test so it doesn't matter, but I'm curious why the red asterisks remain.

Thanks again.
1 year 8 months ago #84216
Attachments:

I am not familiar with the mosaic tool, but it does look to me like the red asterisks on the simulator page are just reminders that those three fields are required, and that the red asterisks never go away.
Hy
1 year 8 months ago #84217

Time to create page: 0.301 seconds