INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Takes picture while mount is still moving

• Thank you received: 12
Hi

not entirely sure of the circumstances but sometimes I get images with star trails. This isn’t when I’m imaging but when I’m doing things like polar alignment. Sometimes it seems to happen for the first image sometimes when I finish one attempt and start again. Thing is I’ve noticed this at other times with both my main and guide cameras. The trails are fairly long so I suspect it must be the mount slewing rather than some drifting. It’s almost as if it’s taking an image before it’s completed a previous move though sometimes it’s not obvious that it was supposed to be moving.

Sorry this is a rather vague description just wondering if someone else has noticed this? Is there some sort of settle time that needs setting?

Regards

Nigel
1 year 7 months ago #85486

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226
It could be your mount trying to clear backlash after a move command. If your mount has his behaviour, consider increasing the settle times for your captures.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brent
1 year 7 months ago #85491

• Thank you received: 8
I have the same behaviour since forever. It seems the end of movement comes from the mount when the breaking starts instead of when the target is really reached.
As stated, just increase your settle time to something like 5000 or more.
1 year 7 months ago #85492

• Thank you received: 12
I believe my mount ramps down when reaching its target position but surely control is not passed back to ekos to indicate it can perform another operation until it’s reached the target?

I’ve got a settle time set for when dithering during guiding but thought that was to allow any vibrations to die down rather than to allow time for the slew to complete. Is there another place to set a settle time?

The trails I see can be fairly long so seem to be due to the mount intentionally moving rather than just vibration or wind plus they don’t always happen.
1 year 7 months ago #85493

Time to create page: 0.781 seconds