I just tried a real life polar alignment with the plate solving method using your suggested 'workaround', by setting an arcsecond-per-pixel value, instead of the arcminute width and the PA, and plate solving performed without any problem. I had "Refresh solver failed" errors before but not this time. Furthermore, the errors get updated correctly contrary to before where the errors would not always get updated and often not displayed.
William Optics GTF81 on Avalon M-Zero OBS
ZWO ASI1600MM Pro
ZWO ASI290MM (guide)
ODroid N2 running Ubuntu Mate 20.04 LTS
KStars 3.6.0 Beta
I noticed that there had been an update pushed out yesterday which included code changes as described above for the plate solving method. I've updated just now and will retry when the weather clears up.
I ran into a similar issue to this one last night when trying to us the polar align with platesolve. Can you confirm if your code change is integrated into 3.6.5? If yes, then I may have a different issue causing me to get the "Solver Failed" message. My experience was this:
1. Start Polar alignment
2. Capture all three images and plate solve successfully.
3. I would start the refresh and it would refresh twice, I would try to move the AZ knob and then get the dreaded "Solver Failed after..." message. What's worse is that there's no recovering from it without stopping and restarting the Polar Alignment process.
If your changes are already in my version, I will start a new thread for this.
That bugfix made it into 3.5.5 or 3.5.6, so way before what you are using.
Some failed solves in the refresh cycle shouldn't be an issue as long as it can solve some.
It isn't unusual to fail a solve right after turning a knob, as that rocks your mount/scope and the imaging isn't coordinated with that.
Hopefully it solves on the next one.
If you successfully solve the 3 exposures, and then have issues in refresh, it is often just the shorter exposures--try using a longer refresh period, e.g. 2s or 3s, can get you better images and a better chance to solve.
Not sure why you're saying that you have to start over. What makes you start over?
Are you using the "Plate Solve" technique (as opposed to the Move Star one)? If not, try that one.
Feel free to send a full debug log (certainly with "align module checked) if you're still having issues.
I am using the "Plate Solve" Method for the polar alignment. I would have to completely restart because after I see the first "Solver Failed..." message, it does not appear to do anything else. I think I need to do some more testing so that I can give you a better report of the issue. I'm hoping to have some clear skies soon so that I can test it. It is entirely possible that this is user error.
Just double checking that you clicked on the refresh button to get the process started.
After the initial 3 exposures that calculate the polar alignment error and required correction, you need to set a few parameters like the algorithm, the refresh interval, and then you click on refresh and the refresh cycle starts up.