INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Comparing PHD2 and Internal guider.

• Thank you received: 9
Hi, I've been using Kstars for a few years now. And guiding with my EQ6R Pro has always been a weak point. Using the Internal guider with default settings I'm seeing RMS rarely drop below 1 and the plot shows the mount move quite erratically. Quite often i see imaging terminated because guiding drifts too far. I've always put this down to my equipment as my 10" Newt is pushing the mount to it's documented limits. The other night I switched from Internal guider to PHD2, again with default settings, expecting to see similar results. I was surprised to see no more erratic behaviour and RMS figures in the 0.3 to 0.5 range. Is it possible to get similar results from the Internal guide? I've played around with the settings and PPEC many times but never seen this kind of improvement.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Kuethe
1 year 7 months ago #85664

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 16
I've had similar experience running on Ubuntu. Guiding with internal guider results in approx 1.x total RMS and PHD2 consistently gives me 0.4 to 0.6 total RMS. Internal guider recovers better from meridian flips, etc, but I'd expect that from an integrated solution versus separate app.
1 year 7 months ago #85693

• Thank you received: 370
Any specific problems with MF and PHD2? Do you have the PHD2 option "Stop guiding when mount slews" enabled?
1 year 7 months ago #85697

• Thank you received: 9
Do you think its a Ubuntu issue or maybe computer power issue? I use a tower PC running Ubuntu 20.04 but its hardly gaming performance. Unless you're into tic tac toe.
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Ray.
1 year 7 months ago #85761

Time to create page: 0.386 seconds