INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Linear 1 Pass gives wrong solution

• Thank you received: 18
Ken, unfortunately I could not get the daily builds to work, so I'm waiting for the release in January to benefit from the fix that John has created. In the meantime I can confirm that setting the backlash to 1 in the Ekos Focus Mechanics tab, as in John's second option, works as a great workaround in the meantime.
1 year 4 months ago #87767

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
Ok thanks, I'll try that. For some reason I only seem to have issues with the Quadratic curve fitting. In my example above I noticed that 10084 is in fact sample #10 on the chart. So when it says "moving to solution" rather than selecting the good solution it calculated it just stays at the position of the last sample.
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Ken.
1 year 4 months ago #87782

• Thank you received: 276
Hi Ken,
Are you still getting the "Unknown error" on the indi tab after the firmware upgrade...
indilib.org/media/kunena/attachments/6151/myFP2-301b.pdf

When you say its only Hyperbola thats giving you the problem is that a typo as the screenshot is for Quadratic? Does this mean you are getting accurate results with the other curvefits?

The other area we haven't explored is how the focuser firmware is set for backlash. Are you able to send a screenshot of the backlash screen on page 111 of this manual?
indilib.org/media/kunena/attachments/6151/myFP2-301b.pdf
1 year 4 months ago #87801

John,

The Unknown Error is now gone. I'm running v319 of Robert's firmware which is the latest.

Sorry, yes I mean Quadratic! I switched to Parabola and it seems to work fine every time. I did try Hyperbolic for a couple of cycles and it also seems to be working well for me. When on Quadratic sometimes it chooses the final sample position as the solution even though the value calculated on the chart is very different. As you see in the screen shot above. I really don't think this would be anything to do with backlash settings.

The next time I power it up I can send a screenshot but I can confirm that both in and out are disabled and all values are zero. The image in the manual is using the Windows test application. These can also be set in the INDI driver which is also set to disabled.

Thanks
Ken
1 year 4 months ago #87816

Hi Ken,

Well that sounds like an improvement after the firmware upgrade if Hyperbola and Parabola are working as you were having problems with Hyperbola / Quadratic before. It would be worth sending another log when you next have a problem (or if you have one from the last session where you had the issue from Quadratic).

Just for info, Quadratic fits a parabolic curve using an older curve fitting routine that's been around in Ekos for a few years. Parabolic does the same thing mathematically as Quadratic but using a new solver that was introduced with Linear 1 Pass. So there is no real reason to use Quadratic and I would encourage people to use Parabola or Hyperbola. However, you shouldn't be getting the error you are getting with Quadratic so I'm happy to look into it and hopefully help you resolve it.

Rgds,
John.
1 year 4 months ago #87830

• Thank you received: 3
Really exciting feature, Looking forward to seeing AF Backlash Comp return in 3.6.2 ! Measuring the backlash is a novice's nightmare.

Best Regards,
Lanco
1 year 4 months ago #87956

• Thank you received: 5
I have Ekos running a myfocuser2 with the latest .321 firmware on Ubuntu 22.04 and, despite all my efforts, I have the problem with linear 1 pass algorithm moving to the wrong solution.
For the moment I'm stuck using polynomial algorithm, which by the way works ok since my focuser apparently has little backlash. But the V-curves I get with linear1 are superb... so, since for what I understand there are no other options, I'm really looking forward to 3.6.2 hoping it will solve the problem.
1 year 4 months ago #88334
Attachments:

Hi Massimo,

Its difficult to comment on your issue without a log of the problem. If you could post a log with the following settings I can take a look...
1 year 4 months ago #88341
Attachments:

Thanks a lot John. I'll take a log as soon (two weeks apparently) as the "monsoon" pass by.

However, my guess is that I'm facing the same problem faced by others of a fight between the backlash compensation of the driver and Ekos. I tried all the possible settings in the Indi driver but I got only "scattered results": some times the algorithm moves to the solution, some times it sticks to the last measurement (as in the attached pictures). I'll keep trying and record a log.

For what I understand in the nightly and in 3.6.2 it is possible to overcome this by muting the backlash compensation in Ekos... right?
1 year 4 months ago #88343

I have the same focuser and firmware. Unfortunately, the same problem as well. I don't think it's the focuser firmware because it did it with the older firmware as well. I'm awaiting the new release but for now I use 1-pass parabola and it seems to work OK for me.

Ken
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Ken. Reason: Wrong word
1 year 4 months ago #88344

Hi Massimo,

Yes, there is a new option in 3.6.2 (currently in the nightly releases if you can take them) to disable the backlash compensation in the Linear 1 Pass algorithm. For now if you set backlash=1 you will minimise (but not completely disable) backlash. My "guess" is that the Linear 1 Pass backlash compensation is somehow conflicting with the myFocuserPro2's own backlash processing so by disabling it in Linear 1 Pass it may improve things.

Of course, this is just a theory so may prove not to be correct, in which case we'll have to look further into things.
1 year 4 months ago #88347

Hi John, I red about the "set backlash=1" thing in previous posts... what I still do not understand is why in the focus module of my Ekos installation the backlash compensation is greyed out. It looks like the driver is not recognizing the myfocuser2 as backlash capable... the more I dwell into Ekos the more mysteries I found, I think it's part of the game!
1 year 4 months ago #88350

Time to create page: 1.193 seconds