INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos 3.6 no guiding calibration

• Thank you received: 19
New try with v3.9, all is OK.
No answer to my problem ?
1 year 6 months ago #86462

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 51
I have a similar issue with my CEM60. I use KStars V3.6 and INDI V 1.9.7 on Raspberry Pi. The driver for the CEM60 is the one specific to the mount.
The calibration always fails.
Hopefully PHD2 works fine and ufffff I can shoot the stars. Otherwise that won't be possible.
The guiding rates are well defined in the mount via the handpad.
There is no track of the guiding rate values in the xml configure file of the CEM60.
So I wonder that those values are read from the mount if not there is no track of those values other than in tab of the mount.
I wonder that values of those guiding rates are either equal to zero either crushed by some memory leak.
The fact is that at the moment guiding with CEM60 and Ekos is not usable.
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Patrick.
1 year 6 months ago #86479

Are you sure this is a purely software issue and not some backlash/balance issues with the mount itself? Here an experiment you can try:

Go to INDI Control Panel --> GEM28 --> Guiding

then issue guide pulses in each direction directly (say 2000) and watch the RA/DE in the Mount Control Panel... do they update appropriately?
1 year 6 months ago #86491

Hi Jasem,

I try v5.6 and v5.9 with the same setup and conditions.
I try your experiment this evening.
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by MORELLI.
1 year 6 months ago #86496

Hello Robert,
Did you tried PHD2 to see how the calibration behaves with it ?
1 year 6 months ago #86499

• Thank you received: 41
Just thought that I would contribute my experiences with a similar problem with my iOptron CEM40. Initially I noticed a periodic error in guiding with a deterioration every 750 secs. I suspected the belts so tightened up the tension but the problem persisted. Next the calibration started to fail with similar issues to those described here. I could still get away with guiding but later the calibration failure was what forced me to take the belts off and closely inspect them. They looked perfect from outside but on inspection some of the teeth were flattened and the fibres of the reinforcing were starting to fray. The mount is about 18 month old with medium use and no pier strikes etc.
I sourced a replacement belt locally (not an ioptron one but these belts are standard ones) and everything now works perfectly.
I also did firmware updates when the problems started but the only thing that made a difference was replacing the belt. So I think that Jasem's comment about considering hardware/mechanical causes is appropriate.
I was suprised that the belts would need replacing after such a short time but maybe they are a weak point in these mounts and will need replacing regularly. The replacement process is pretty simple and are illustrated in pdfs available on request from ioptron and I think you can find them though some of the US and UK astronomy forums.

Cheers

Mike
1 year 6 months ago #86507

Hello,

I tryed with phd2 with the same failing at the calibration.
I repeat that with the same setup and any changes, with V3.5.9, all his okay.
1 year 6 months ago #86522

Hello,

I can't stay with this issue pending. I am on a two weeks astro and I need to have an operating setup. So, how I can install the V3.5.9 version on my laptop please ?
1 year 6 months ago #86537

As I can't solve the problem of calibration. I took decision to use PhD2 instead of internal guider. I will wait for some version that could fix the problem.
Until there I will check the evolution of Ekos/INDI each time the sky allows me to do.
But I am quite sure that there is something broken somewhere in the process of calibration for ioptron mounts in Ekos.
I believe that if PHD2 works fine that might means that the driver is not responsible of the problem.
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Patrick.
1 year 6 months ago #86582

Hello,

I can't make test the last two weeks, first I have to make captures (with V3.5.9) and then the second week was horrible, cloudy and rainy. I came back home, the wethear is bad also. I update to V3.6.1. I try to make a test as soon as possible.
1 year 5 months ago #86794

• Thank you received: 2
Hi all,
using Kstars 3.6.1 and 1.9.8 libindi i have a similar problem.

i tryed to setup correctly the optical train. (guiding in parralel with Moravian G0-0300 )...
But calibration stucks on RA drifting step...as mount is not moving...

i didn't found any idea to solve it, or any configuration to change...

Regards,
1 year 5 months ago #86834

Hello Arnaud,
Is it on a iOptron mount ?
If yes symptoms are the same for me.
Have you tried to use PHD2 to see if it is a mount/mount driver/Indi/Ekos problem.
If calibration works with PHD2 Indi and mount/mount driver are out of the question.
But I didn't check yet last updates.
1 year 5 months ago #86846

Time to create page: 0.524 seconds