INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

PA module: Bug, setting or seeing/transparency issue? "Could not determine..."

• Thank you received: 2
The other night I was trying to Polar Align with my guide camera, an ASI290mini at F4. It went well, plate solving and determing a solution for me to work with. Then after several "Refresh" images that resovled, some that didn't, the error came up. {bug?}

"Could not determine mount position."

This was the end of it, the process stopped. I tried several more times and the same failure. Then I switched from the guidescope to my 8" EdgeHD at F10
You may think, as it was pointed out to me later, that I went from easy plate solving to hard. (I was thinking more light, more stars.)

The exact same thing happened with the longer focal length. I got very close to finishing the overall process,only needing to adjust the mount. I did 2 or3 adjustments only to end up with the same error.
I would say the seeing was poor. Transparency is something I am working on understanding in relation to my location. I will say this night was a better one in terms of how many stars I could see nearer to the horizons, but the sky STILL did seem washed out. In other words you could see the bright stars but little besides that. {seeing/transparency?}

Question is: would unchecking "Use Position" have let me continue? {setting?}

Thanks
1 year 5 months ago #87234

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 28
Hi Bill,

It is frustrating when PA doesn't work! While I don't have any experience using my guide camera for PA (Looks like you're using guide scope at F4 - alignment between the guide scope and your main OTC for PA purposes must be tricky!), I have had the occasional PA issue for different reasons. In no particular order:

- Sometimes, often with software updates and sometimes due to user error, the EKOS settings have the wrong focal length/FOV/etc. and these make the whole plate solving thing a challenge or impossible. I don't always check that in advance since I assume it doesn't change - it has bitten me a few times.

- I have an 11" EdgeHD and when I shoot at F10 I find I'm using longer exposures and/or binning to get more stars to resolve.

- I have become a bit more anal about focusing first thing. While PA can be forgiving of some out of focus conditions, I've found the whole process is so much more reliable if I do a focus run first.

If you have any logs or examples of the image captures you can share, many here are great at using those to diagnose things.
1 year 5 months ago #87250

• Thank you received: 2
Thanks for the reply,
I did plate solve almost all the way through the process. I did play around and use 2x2 binning and various exposure times.
I was at the point with the arrows to adjust the Alt and AZ, and past it with a few adjustments made when the error came up.

I will have to try again when the clouds cooperate. I have enabled the logs to provide more information.
I am afraid this may just be terrible seeing but have never seen the error I mentioned before.
1 year 5 months ago #87269

Time to create page: 0.738 seconds