INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Help please getting EKOS Simulation to show stars from the gsc

• Thank you received: 2
Thanks John - just one last question if I may - what is the name of the code module from which you pasted the code snippet above. I compile from source, so I’ll take a look in the code and try to figure it what’s going on.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions
1 year 6 months ago #87348

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 280
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Pillar
1 year 6 months ago #87349

In the end I figured it out and got stars to show up in a simulated EKOS profile. I added and compiled some debug code to the Indi ccd_simlator.cpp and to the gsc.c source code.

Turns out that the data files for gsc (eg. N000 etc) needed to be located in a directory called /usr/share/GSC and the other two key files - regions.bin and regions.ind - needed to be located in /usr/share/GSC/bin

The confusing thing was that gsc ran ok from a terminal window for me, but when called by ekos, failed to produce a list of stars for ekos to display as simulated.

The gsc.c code seeks the values of the system environment variables GSCDAT and GSCBIN. These, set using setenv=/xx/xx, indicate to gsc where the data and bin files are located. Having set these for my setup gsc ran ok as a stand alone from a terminal window

Problem was that when gsc was running after being called by EKOS it didn’t get the values of environment variables GSCDAT or GSCBIN from the system. I discovered that when gsc.c finds the values of these variables to be null it seeks the data and bin files in hard coded default locations … ie… /usr/share/GSC and /usr/share/GSC/bin.

Having moved the gsc data and bin files to the appropriate directories, gsc worked fine after being called internally by ekos.

Thanks for your help John in figuring this out. Hope helps others too.

I’m on a bullseye raspberryPi and kstars 3.6.2beta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred, John
1 year 5 months ago #87375

• Thank you received: 19
Hello,
I find out this issue this morning with KSTARS V3.6.1 on Ubuntu 22.04. No stars, so no guiding simulation, etc.
gsc application is into /bin and the data into /usr/share/GSC.

So, what's wrong ?
1 year 5 months ago #87380

Hi, are regions.ind and regions.bin located in /usr/share/GSC/bin?

What error message are you getting?

Good luck
1 year 5 months ago #87385

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds