INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Orion-newb question: Getting INDI to talk to an older HDX110-EQ-G

• Thank you received: 20
Hey all,

Our local astro club has a rather nice RC on the aforementioned Orion HDX110-EQ-G mount. Currently all it has is a hand controller. I'd like to control this mount from Ekos via INDI.

I ordered a USB-to-Synscan module from Starizona, which apparently can plug either into the HC with the included RJ-11 cable, or replace the hand controller using the RJ-45 cable. Documentation is minimal.

The Synscan driver appears to be pretty limited. In particular, it doesn't do pulse guiding. That's not necessarily a deal-breaker -- the scope has a LaCerta MGEN II with an ST-4 connection to the mount -- but I'm a lot more comfortable using PHD than I am trying to figure out the MGEN's quirks. I suppose I could pull the MGEN off the guidescope and replace it with my ASI120MC and use PHD via ST-4, but I'd rather not disturb the setup unless I have to -- the scope does not belong to me, after all.

What are my options here? I'm running StellarMate OS on a Pi 4. Is there an advantage to replacing the HC, or should I just connect through it? Will one of the other drivers work? I've never played in the Sky-Watcher/Synscan universe before, all my experience has been with iOptron mounts. Is the USB-to-Synscan the correct hardware?

Ideally I'd like to get, in order of priority:
  1. Automated pointing via Capture and solve/Slew to target in the Alignment module*
  2. Dithering
  3. Guiding via PHD

*Currently I can't get it to plate-solve any of the 12.8' images off my imaging camera. I downloaded all the index files down to 4200, still no joy. Fortunately ASTAP works fine, so I can do it sort-of manually. And of course PHD guiding would be nice.

TIA,

rw

Your suggestions?
1 year 4 months ago #87942

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

That's my primary mount in the observatory. You need to get this EQDirect cable and connect directly to the mount bypassing the HC entirely.
1 year 4 months ago #87947

• Thank you received: 20
Thanks Jasem!

That cable appears to be functionally identical to the Starizona adapter, though I don't know if the Starizona one uses the FTDI chipset. The one you linked is out of stock so I'm motivated to at least give this one a shot.

Assuming I can plug the Starizona directly into the mount (they do include a cable for that), which INDI driver should I use?
1 year 4 months ago #87968

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds