INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Weird pointing problem

• Thank you received: 3
I’m having an issue with GoTos using the Celestron NexStar driver with my 6SE. I recently upgraded to 1.7.3 and downloaded the latest updates today. I set my wedge mounted 6SE as normal pointed at the celestial equator and due south. I do a quick align using the Starsense HC. The first GOTO seems correct and KStars and the scope agree. But on the second GOTO the scope slews correctly, but in KStar, the scope position shoots off to the wrong place. I did clear the mount model and purge configurations before writing this note since that is the guidance. The only thing that looks amiss is this: when I first load the profile and look at the Site Management tab, the time and location are correct and the lights are green. But then I disconnect the mount and do the Quick Alignment. Upon reconnection, the time and location are OK, but the lights are red. I’m guessing this is a clue. Prior to 1.7.3 my procedure worked OK.
Mike
1 year 4 months ago #88303

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Weird pointing problem

Driver did not receive any updates recently. What if you perform alignment *first* and then connect to Ekos?
1 year 4 months ago #88306

Replied by Michael Moir on topic Weird pointing problem

If I do the Quick Align and then start up EKOS, the red lights are on in Site Management because the time is out of sync between the HC and EKOS. EKOS doesn't true up the time because the HC is "already aligned". This is the same behavior I see if I first start EKOS, which transfers the site information and time to the HC. The lights are first green beside the Location and Time. Then I have to disconnect the mount, and align, and then reconnect. The HC time and the site time differ by the few seconds it takes to do the Quick Align and the lights are red.
I'll attach some screen shots to show you what I am seeing. This was all done with the simulator (but with the real NexStar mount).
Mike
1 year 4 months ago #88316

This was done with the model cleared.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

1 year 4 months ago #88318
Attachments:

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Weird pointing problem

Is it possible to turn off DST in the hand controller?
1 year 4 months ago #88375

Good catch. That particular screenshot was before I saw the DST error. The SS HC seems to have a mind of its own. Even if I turn DST off, and reset to factory conditions, upon restart, the DST will be on. Anyhow, attached are screenshots of the sequence of actions, with the Wedge enabled and DST off. Maybe I can only use the SS HC between March and October. Aargh.
Mike
1 year 4 months ago #88404

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

1 year 4 months ago #88405
Attachments:

Another clear moonless night here with nothing to show for it. I tried the SS HC set up that worked with Stellarmate 1.7.2 (during DST) but even after ensuring that DST is turned off, the pointing issue persists with 1.7.3. After quick align, Kstars and the mount agree on the position, but after a move, the scope appears to start to move in the right direction, but then abruptly wanders off. Is there something that was changed in 1.7.3 other than the introduction of a new way of inputting optical trains? What is it that I am missing? Is there something with slew limits perhaps?
Mike
1 year 4 months ago #88498

Time to create page: 0.904 seconds