INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Esatto focus failing on linear and linear 1 pass

• Thank you received: 18
I am focussing an esatto focuser on a QHY268C camera and it works OK with polynomial but there is some backlash so I would like to use linear 1 pass. When I try either linear on linear 1 pass it fails - it is getting HFR=-1 on the screen despite the image showing sensible stars.

When I turn on verbose logging it appears the issue isn't the HFR - it is not happy with where the focuser landed.

[2022-11-20T19:04:09.965 MST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.focus] - Focus newFITS # 1 : Current HFR 3.07951 Num stars 67
[2022-11-20T19:04:09.970 MST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.focus] - "Linear: step 2, newMeasurement(37405, 3.07951 -> 3.07951, 67)"
[2022-11-20T19:04:09.970 MST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.focus] - "Linear: error didn't get the requested position"

The full log is attached - the verbose logged focus run is at the end of the file. Maybe the Esatto is too slow?
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Thomas Mason.
1 year 4 months ago #88328
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 16
I'm not familiar with your focuser, but the script at the bottom says that you were moving the focuser 11,018 steps??? I know that I can have issues moving that much in one step. You may be hitting some kind of time-out.

Could you show your settings under the "Mechanics" tab?

Ron
1 year 4 months ago #88348

1 year 4 months ago #88349
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 16
I can't find any information about how much each step moves the focuser, but your numbers look very large to me. Particular since this is just to "micro focus" as Primaluce lab calls it.

I focus with an ASI EAF that has very fine steps... 5,760 steps per revolution and my settings are:

Initial step size: 50
Max step size: 500
Max travel: 60,000

Hopefully someone in this forum uses this focuser and can provide some input.

Good luck!

Ron
1 year 4 months ago #88351

• Thank you received: 276
Hi Thomas,

Unfortunately the log doesn't have enough info to see what is going on. Can you set the logging like this please...

My guess is that you're moving too far away from focus and getting no stars (HFR = -1). When focus fails it returns to the start position so you will see stars there.

I see you have the flag "Autofocus Backlash Comp" set true. This is a recent change to add this flag. There is another live problem on the forum with the Esatto that this flag was introduced for. I "think" you'll need to set this flag to OFF for your focuser. Setting this flag OFF will significantly reduce your first outward step.

If you can capture another Linear 1 Pass run with the logging I've suggested I should be able to help further.
1 year 4 months ago #88357
Attachments:

Disabling Autofocus Backlash Comp seemed to fix it. It wasn't moving too far from focus - you can see the image in the first posting - there are good stars it is getting HFR for. It may have something to do with how long the travel takes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John
1 year 4 months ago #88371

Time to create page: 0.347 seconds