INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

EQ3-2 with Sky-Watcher Motorset Autoguide Interface

• Thank you received: 0
Hello there, I am new with Astroberry and INDI/EKOS. Installed all the packages from astroberry.io a few weeks ago. Thanks to all the folks working on these great projects. Until now I am working with the stuff below:
· EQ3-2, Sky-Watcher motorset and guiding interface (ST4),
· ZWO ASI120MC (Firmware ASI120MC-compatible) as guider
· EOS550D or EOS550D modified for H alpha
· EOS 70-200 mm 2.8 and EOS 300 mm 4.0 lenses.
Guiding with PHD2 works fine with Windows and Astroberry. Now I would try to guide with EKOS, but if I understand aright my mount/guider is the last one in the list:
www.indilib.org/individuals/devices/telescopes/skywatcher.html
Does it mean that guiding with INDI/EKOS is not possible with this guiding interface?

Many thanks
1 year 3 months ago #88637

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No one out there having experience with this interface and INDI/EKOS?

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Adrian.
1 year 3 months ago #88808
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 133
You use the ST-4 for guiding. Then you have to choose the guide camera as guider, not the mount.
1 year 3 months ago #88829

Hallo Peter, to be honest, I have tried it before without success. My standard profile got Mount, CCD and Guider (Picture Profile).

I use the “Telescope Simulator” driver for the mount. Without mount I haven’t found a way to specify my lenses or communication to the mount. In the “Guiding Area” I take the guiding camera as you see in the picture “control” (Guider and Via).

With Mount Control I try to guide manually (move the mount in any way with the software), but nothing happens.

Couldn’t find my mistake.
1 year 3 months ago #88846
Attachments:

OK, I'm on thin ice as I don't have equipment available at the moment.
One mistake is that you think you can move the telescope with the standard control panel. That one is intended to work with a 'real' mount that is connected to the computer. As you have set it up it will only move the telescope simulator. Have you tried not to specify any mount? It does work here, but I'm using very recent git snapshots. What version of kstars do you run?

You have selected the Star Adventurer. Is that your mount? IIRC, the ZWO driver has a section about the ST-4 interface where you can send pulses, maybe check this. Those should "move" the telescope. But only at guide speed, so either listen to the motor, or verify with running camera that it changes the pointing. In the guide tab you'll have to disable DEC, else calibration will fail (or is it one of the newer SAs that have DEC motor?).
So basically you have to point the mount by hand at the target, then do the guide calibration, and it should guide....
1 year 3 months ago #88851

Kstars version 3.5.5.
Mount EQ3-2
Sky Watcher motorset and interface (ST4, RA motor and DEC motor)

Using PHD2 with manual guiding I can see the red LED turning to green on the Sky Watcher interface and I can hear both motors, when I send pulses.
Using ZWO and the guider control section only the white LED turns to yellow for some seconds on the screen. Nothing happens on the SW Interface.

More ideas?
1 year 3 months ago #88861
Attachments:

Strange. So the hardware is OK, if PHD2 works with the same setup. That would leave the ZWO drivers and EKOS as possible culprit.
When using PHD2, do you use 'native ZWO' or 'INDI' as driver for the camera? What versions are those?
Can you upgrade INDI (and maybe KStars) to more recent versions?
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Peter Sütterlin.
1 year 3 months ago #88869

I am not very familiar with linux systems, coming from Windows. Tried to update Kstart with:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa (after that command I got some error messages)
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install indi-full kstars-bleeding

Correct? I don’t know exactly what I am doing. Find that commands:
edu.kde.org/kstars/install.php#gnulinux

After this process Kstars doesn’t start. Double klick on the symbol leads to a sand glass close the mouse pointer and after a few seconds only a mouse pointer without glass.
Tried to do it again, tried to uninstall Kstars, tried to reboot the system (Windows :-) ), … at the end I have started with a new astroberry installation. Now I have a completely new system :-). Nothing installed but the astroberry image. Changed the WiFi settings and started with PHD2. PHD2 works as before and unfortunately Kstars (3.5.5.) to :-(.

PHD2 version 2.6.10dev2
Camera: ZWO ASI Camera
Mount: On-camera
My PHD2 hardware setup is very easy, don’t know if it is the native driver, I have chosen the only driver named as my camera.

Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Adrian.
1 year 3 months ago #88880
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.978 seconds