INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Statistics of region of interest

• Thank you received: 5
I primarily do variable star photometry. When planning my images, I need to adjust the exposure duration so the star in question (and the comparison stars) has a large enough SNR but also make sure they are not saturated.

The FITS viewer has a "Statistics of region of interest" feature, but it seems to only show the "average mean, average standard deviation and average median of the selected region". It would be really great it it could also show the Max value within the region. That would allow me to easily check for saturation. Currently I have to save the file and open it in a different app to check for saturation.

Perhaps there is already another way to check for saturation. If so, could someone explain it to me?
1 year 3 months ago #89199

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 133
The 'big red button' icon activates that stars/pixels above 60000 (IIR the value correct) are plotted red (also the total number of those is then printed in the status line). Would that suffice?
1 year 3 months ago #89200

Peter,

No, that doesn't quite work for me. I wasn't totally clear in my explanation. With photometry, you need to make sure the ADU is within the linearity range of the chip. This is generally something around 48,000. Besides just saturation, I need to make sure it is in the linear range.

If the threshold for showing red was adjustable so I could set it to 48,000, then that would work pretty well. However, it would still be nice to see the Max in the region of interest popup.

Bill
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
1 year 3 months ago #89201

I also think it's a good idea to configure saturation level and asked Hy about this. We can also add min/max in the ROI statistics but let's see first if saturation can be configurable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Sütterlin, Bill Tschumy
1 year 3 months ago #89209

Hy Murveit implemented adjustable thresholds in KStars. It's in GIT now.
1 year 3 months ago #89236

• Thank you received: 559
Bill, the control is in the KStars Settings, Configure KStars --> FITS menu.
It doesn't refresh automatically, so if you make changes and want to see the result you need to toggle the clipping control twice

1 year 3 months ago #89238
Attachments:

Hy,

Thanks for implementing that. I will have to wait until this is available in a release build. I'm not currently set up to build from source. How often do you do a release build?

Bill
1 year 3 months ago #89239

• Thank you received: 559
Bill,

The releases come every 2 or 3 months, however you can download the most recent "beta releases" all the time on Ubuntu and probably a few other platforms. They reflect the latest successful compile of the latest code.
For instance, see indilib.org/get-indi/download-ubuntu.html (and follow instructions to switch your updates to the "nightly" ppa). You can then later switch back to the stable one if you wish.

The build progress page code.launchpad.net/~mutlaqja/+recipe/kstars-nightly shows when the various nightlies were built, so those should have this change. Of course, you'd see when you went to that options menu (if the clipping parameters were there or not).

Hy
1 year 3 months ago #89241

The nightly macOS build looks like it hasn't been successful for 20 days now. If someone could fix that in the near future, I can give this feature a try.

Thanks,
Bill
1 year 3 months ago #89255

• Thank you received: 809
Yep, we can fix that, sorry about that. A important line from the cmakelists for 3rd party drivers appears to have been removed. We can put that back.
1 year 3 months ago #89259

• Thank you received: 809
Ok Jasem added the line back and it successfully built on my machine, craft should build a new version tomorrow that will hopefully work fine.
1 year 3 months ago #89260

Time to create page: 0.628 seconds