INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars/Ekos 3.6.0 Stable StellarSolver not running

• Thank you received: 50
I followed Rob’s advice on your behalf Ben. I unchecked “use position” - and the solver completed after 41.11 seconds!
1 year 3 weeks ago #91112

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
Thank you for putting so much work into my problem! I really appreciate your results!

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce them, because KStars keeps crashing if I disable "Use Scale" or "Use Position". I think you found the problem in my file, but it seems that I have another problem with my installation. Are all of you running KStars 3.6.3? For me, 3.6.0 is the latest version it wants to upgrade to.

The reason for the wrong coordinates in the file is, that I made this image with a Star Adventurer setup without goto. So as you suggested I moved manually to this position while Kstars was pointing to another position.
1 year 3 weeks ago #91114

Ok, just right now it solved instantely using "LargeScaleSolving" and "Use position" disabled! After that it crashed again, but now I have the first solved image today!
1 year 3 weeks ago #91115

I really do not know why, but when I use the options you recommended and additionally switch the solving method to "Local Astrometry" it seems to work without crashes!
So this seems to work for me:

Thank you very much for the help!
1 year 3 weeks ago #91116
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 809
I assume you were using the CCD Simulator to simulate position information? If so, I would do the "goto" command on the simulator to fake the position and then move the scope manually. It is important that whatever system is being used for the position information is actually accurate to where the scope is pointing to the use the position option. If you uncheck the position then this won't matter, but it will be much harder for the solver to solve. It will take longer, it will use more power, and it will be more likely to fail in the solve.

If you are regularly getting crashes when you are trying to solve, I would suspect that you have an issue with your option to "load all indexes into memory." That is an option in the profile. You might edit whatever profile you are choosing to use and uncheck that box then save the solver profile. Some people are running KStars on a system that misreports the amount of memory it has available. That would be by main guess. So if you are getting crashes while using the internal solver, try unchecking that box.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben
1 year 3 weeks ago #91117

Yes, I am using the CCD Simulator, when I use Astroberry with my mobile equipment. I will try the goto command next time, to get simulation and reality close to each other. I was not aware that the position of the mount is stored in the fits data. Normally I am working with the raw files from the SD card of my camera.

In an earlier version of Kstars the verbose mode created a lot of information. There it said, that I have enough RAM to store all indexer files. But when this information was wrong, this could cause a RAM leakage and that would be a good explanation for this behaviour! When I unchecked that option it never crashes again!

But I really wonder how this could happen. When I type "free" in the terminal it says that I have 8GB RAM and 700MB of them used. The sum of the downloaded files should not exceed the free RAM, because I did never download the files for the smaller FOVs. But the result shows that you are right!

1 year 3 weeks ago #91118
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.647 seconds