INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Tool for Creating Framing FITS?

• Thank you received: 15
I used to use a really nice mosaic planning website (mosaic.darkdragons.space/) to frame up a shot based on my rig and sensor parameters and export a FITS. This worked really well for Ekos' "Load & Slew" function on the Align tab. Though it was a mosaic planner, I could just set the grid to 1x1 and just get one FITS image. This worked great in Ekos, including the rotation angle - perfect for framing up my shot well before the imaging session starts.

Unfortunately, the darkdragons site doesn't answer any more. I've seen what telescopius.com has, but it only exports a CSV useable for Ekos' Mosaic Planner - won't let me Load & Slew.

Anyone know of a tool similar to that original darkdragons site that will allow me to frame up a shot and create a FITS suitable for Ekos' "Load & Slew"? Or maybe have KStars export my sensor FOV to a FITS? (Would need an easier way to adjust rotation angle, tho - a nice slider or keystroke to adjust, like Telescopius or Stellarium.)
Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by AirBourn.
3 months 1 week ago #97059

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Why not use KStars to frame?
3 months 1 week ago #97063

• Thank you received: 86
Yes... I used to use darkdragons site and found it useful and convenient.
However, once I started using the Scheduler in Ekos about 6 months ago, I forgot about darkdragons.
Scheduler is good for single or multiple targets and for mosaics as well.
And it is possible to use it "off-line" i.e. without starting the drivers and with no equipment attached.
You just need to have one or more sequence files defined and saved to use with Scheduler.
Sequence files are defined/saved in Capture/CCD module of Ekos.
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
3 months 1 week ago #97065

"Why not use KStars to frame?"

How do you suggest? It's clumsy to change the rotation angle and I have to keep taking images to update the solver. When I create a FITS offline, it's super convenient and I can just plug that FITS file into the solver or scheduler and make setup of the session a breeze.
Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by AirBourn.
3 months 1 week ago #97066

How do you "save" the framing when you're working offline ahead of an imagining session? I find the moving the box around in the Mosaic Planner is very clumsy. If KStars had a way to easily rotate the FOV and export the FOV to a FITS, that would be great! I use the "Load & Slew" function for every successive imagine session on the same target - I just need a way to easily generate that first FITS for the first session. If this is easy/possible in KStars, I don't know about it.
3 months 1 week ago #97067

Another thing I've run into - I like the Telescopius framing, but only way to get it to KStars is through CSV. This works, but it's clumsy because KStars requires the center coordinates, and Telescopius will only export the center coordinates if you have more than a 1x1 grid (The switch is disabled for 1x1!). So, I have to create a 1x2 grid, export, import, change to 1x1, and reframe anyway. I just want something I can very easily frame with rotation angle, save, and FTP into the rig for a quick load & slew into the solver. That darkdragons thing was perfect.
3 months 1 week ago #97068

• Thank you received: 40
I am not aware of this site but this is how I do it:

I have a KStars on my Macbook setup with Simulators with the correct data (sensor, FOV, location, etc). I do all my planning at home without losing precious clear nighttime and then transfer those "ideas" to my observatory.

For example, you can do this with the rotator to visualize the angle and use it with the target's coordinates.

After capturing your first frame, you can use it later for the Load and Slew function.

3 months 1 week ago #97071
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds