INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos and Canon 6D setup

You're using remote astrometry or offline?!!
7 years 3 months ago #13104

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Remote.

When I ran the simulator last night, it looked like those numbers were tied to the RA and DEC of the mount. But I was looking at those numbers when I was trying to do alignment for real the other night (when it was failing) and no matter where I pointed the mount it looked like those numbers never changed. So I'm asking the question to make sure I have the right idea.
I'm anticipating that I've made another mistake with my setup since that's usually the case, but I intentionally didn't touch anything this time and left it at default. I don't have logs yet, so other than asking some basic questions I'll have to wait for my mount to get fixed before I can really figure out what was happening. I did have the scope information correct and updated, etc. I'll try to do the test solve on the sample image when I get home tonight and make sure the solver is actually working - I just saw that in the FAQs.
And sorry, Jasem, for the questions. I know I'm being a pain. But despite my efforts to just leave things at the default, keep it as simple as possible, etc. I just can't seem to get things to work right the first time out without a bunch of questions and research; which I know is not how you have made this thing to work. So I'm frustrated as to why I'm having problems with pieces.
On the good side, aside from the plate solving, everything appeared to be working just fine after doing my Pi3 setup instructions. Once I resolve the astrometry issue in my own head, I'll update my guide to cover whatever basic mistake I'm making along with some of the other, scattered, info I'm finding into one location.
7 years 3 months ago #13111

Now another dumb question.... In the FAQs it says to run this command $ solve-field --scale-low 1 /usr/examples/apod2.jpg to test the solver. I looked in the usr folder and there's no example folder or apod2.jpg file anywhere. What download/install did I miss that should have contained that? I'm pretty sure I installed the astrometry stuff according to the instructions on the alignment module page.

However, I did go to the astrometry web side and their github page and find the demo files and download a couple. They DO solve. So the solver works.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by James Taylor.
7 years 3 months ago #13115

So just to be clear, you have astrometry.net along with all the necessary index files installed on your RPI3? Can't say much without logs. Turn your logs on in INDI (GPhoto driver) & KStars (INDI & Alignment) and submit them along with the image you captured that failed to solve. Only then I can diagnose the issue.
7 years 3 months ago #13118

Yes, I have astronometry.net installed on the Pi3. I have index files from 4203 to 4212. That's way more than I need but I will remove some later when I know I've got it all working. The solver, both online and off, is solving with index file 4209.

I ran the solver via the command line last night with the apod2.jpg file that I downloaded and it solved. But it took a pretty long time to solve. I guess that's normal since it's a blind solve?

I'll stop asking questions until I get my scope working again and can actually get some images and run the solver in Ekos. I think I have everything set up OK at this point....I just need a chance to test it.
7 years 3 months ago #13126

Time to create page: 0.334 seconds