INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Moonlite Focuser Mac/EKOS

• Thank you received: 139
I don’t have any other devices plugged in, so how would I test it?
6 years 1 month ago #23227

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I’m wondering since I have a Serial to USB cable and driver installed for my NexStar hand controller if getting a USB version of the hand controller would eliminate this issue? I think the only way to test it would be to erase OSX and do a clean install with no USB serial driver installed to test the focuser before I make a purchase.
6 years 1 month ago #23229

Also, one other thing.

I have both my serial-USB cable for my mount plugged in now, and the focuser, and they're both working. By themselves. I still get the timeout errors, but I can send commands to the focuser.
USB-Serial Controller:

Product ID:	0x2303
  Vendor ID:	0x067b  (Prolific Technology, Inc.)
  Version:	3.00
  Speed:	Up to 12 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer:	Prolific Technology Inc.
  Location ID:	0x14200000 / 18
  Current Available (mA):	500
  Current Required (mA):	100
  Extra Operating Current (mA):	0

FT232R USB UART:

Product ID:	0x6001
  Vendor ID:	0x0403  (Future Technology Devices International Limited)
  Version:	6.00
  Serial Number:	A10725B4
  Speed:	Up to 12 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer:	FTDI
  Location ID:	0x14100000 / 19
  Current Available (mA):	500
  Current Required (mA):	90
  Extra Operating Current (mA):	0

The FT232R is the focuser. FTDI makes the chip, and they have a webpage here where you can see the specs. It looks like their might be a driver from FTDI, I'm wondering if this would help, but I don't know which to download.
6 years 1 month ago #23235

A little more digging and what I can find on their website is that the VCP driver is for this:

VCP creates a virtual com port on the MAC and allows applications that use the POSIX programming interface to communicate with the device. This is effectively the same us using a legacy com port.

And the D2XX drivers are for:

D2xx uses FTDI’s programming interface to access advanced features of the chips.

Sounds like maybe I should try the VCP drivers?
6 years 1 month ago #23237

Try to this command, what do you get:
lsof | grep usbserial
6 years 1 month ago #23250

I get this:
indi_moon 2321 andrewburwell    3u      CHR              20,11    0t1166     683 /dev/cu.usbserial-A10725B4
6 years 1 month ago #23259

This is with both serial USB devices connected.
indi_cele 2407 andrewburwell    7u      CHR              20,15    0t1684     693 /dev/cu.usbserial
indi_moon 2410 andrewburwell    3u      CHR              20,11     0t840     683 /dev/cu.usbserial-A10725B4

I've loaded up all devices again (Mount, cameras, etc) and the Moonlite is working this time. I have it plugged into the Laptop directly, and I have the others plugged into a USB Hub. I'm wondering if one of the issues when I previously had everything plugged into the hub was that there might not have been enough power for everything.

I'm still getting the same timeout issues. So there still appears to be a communication issue with just receiving information from the Moonlite controller regarding temp and position. However that said, the Moonlite overview tab shows the correct absolute position.

This is how it all looks connected in profiler:

Still wondering if the driver I listed above might alleviate the communication issue, or if there is a bug in the INDI driver. Here's a log from the last time with everything working.

File Attachment:

File Name: log_07-46-17.txt.zip
File Size:15 KB
6 years 1 month ago #23263
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:Moonlite Focuser Mac/EKOS

It might be nothing, but I observe that the first error message reported by the driver is from updatePosition. As it happens, it is the only function that uses a hard-coded timeout equal to 2 seconds, while other functions of indi_moonlite are using MOONLITE_TIMEOUT, equal to 3 seconds. That might also start to explain the similar timeouts I experienced with my custom arduino firmware under this driver, but well, maybe not.

-Eric
6 years 1 month ago #23264

Ok I fixed that, but even 2 seconds should be enough. I increased POLLMS from 250 to 500ms, I think twice-a-second frequency is more than enough for a focuser.
6 years 1 month ago #23265

In my own experience when the focuser is working, I noticed if it has received a command, moved to the position, then I issue a new command, it sometimes does not move if I do this too quickly. It requires some longer delay before you can give it a new command.

Am I able to adjust the timing settings you indicated or do I need to wait for an update to EKOS or the Moonlite plugin?
6 years 1 month ago #23267

For MacOS, you need to wait until KStars 2.9.3 is released, hopefully within the next two weeks.
6 years 1 month ago #23269

I just wanted to update on this now that I got the latest KSTARS/EKOS package. The delay timing update didn't change anything for me. I still get the error messages. So I decided to try and install the VCP drivers for the FTDI serial controller that's used in the Moonlite controller, and after installing, with a reboot, everything works perfectly. Wish I had tried this with the prior KSTARS/EKOS version, but looks like that would have solved the error messages.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
6 years 1 week ago #24221

Time to create page: 0.289 seconds