INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Problems installing Astrometry indexfiles on RPi

• Thank you received: 18
When I am trying to install the Astrometry indexfiles on my RPi, I get the error message as in the picture attached.
Does anyone know this message? Any hint as to how to solve it? When I click an index-file, it starts to download something, but after 100% complete this message pops up and nothing to be found on the download location.
In general, the Astrometry Options section looks quite different from the one on my Mac, where there's a separate menu for Astrometry.cfg. Also Icons as to which indexfiles are required/recommended etc. are not visible. Almost looks like something needs to be installed. For example the Astrometry.cfg files was not created at start and I had to create that myself, including the right pointer to the directory of the index-files. Does Astrometry install automatically on Ubuntu as it does on Mac, or is a manual installation/update of some components required?
Running UbuntuMATE 16.04 on RPi with KStars/Ekos installed on RPi.
Any help much appreciated.
6 years 3 weeks ago #23939
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
This is true, I wrote the code that added the extra options for OS X. These same options are not all available for the Linux version. The Linux version uses the separately installed command line astrometry.net. It cannot be embedded into the app like it can for Mac. The main issue for running the index file downloader is that on Linux, the places where the astrometry index files and config file are stored are read-only system locations. In order to download the index file and install it to the right location, KAuth needs to run to save the files with enhanced privileges. After I got everything working for Mac, I tried to make the code work for Linux as well using KAuth, but I am not an expert on Linux nor KAuth so I am not sure if something else is required. I think Jasem was investigating this, and I seem to remember that he contacted somebody about an issue using KAuth for this, but I don't know if he is still looking into it. I can help you quite a bit with the Mac version since I wrote the code to make it work, but I don't know if something needs to be done to make it work on Linux.

Thanks,
Rob
6 years 3 weeks ago #23941

• Thank you received: 809
One thing that I can tell you about though is that in my AstroPi3 script, which you can run to get your raspberry Pi all set up for imaging, I did add a script that downloads the Astronomy Index files to the right location on the pi and it has no trouble with that because you run it with sudo. If you set up your pi with my script, just double click the icon.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott Baker
6 years 3 weeks ago #23942
Attachments:

You can also just manually download and install the index files, they're just Debian packages.
6 years 3 weeks ago #23962

• Thank you received: 18
Thank you Rob and Jasem for your answers. It helped a lot. I went for the manual installation and download option, and followed the instructions as described here:
indilib.org/about/ekos/alignment-module.html
Ekos plate solving working now on the RPi. Somewhat slower than on my Mac, but no need to download picture first over WiFi. So guess that's the trade-off.
6 years 2 weeks ago #23976

Time to create page: 0.751 seconds