INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos: choosing saved extension

• Thank you received: 0
Hello,
I use two programs to process the data I gather from KStars, both of them use a FIT extension and a single digit numbering (ex: Light_11.fit). KStars uses the MaximDL numbering and the FITS extension (ex: Light_009.fits).

On Linux, it's easy to use a sed script to change the extension and numbering system, but on Windows, a program like Ant renamer has to be used, which is cumbersome and wastes time at each acquisition.

I was wondering if an option to choose between the two extensions (fit / fits) and maybe also the two numbering systems ( _1 or _001) could be added in the control panel? Would that cause a lot of troubles?
5 years 10 months ago #25933

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Seems like the processing programs that are limited by ".fit" vs ".fits" and the inability to parse numbers with leading zeros are the ones in need of fixing!
5 years 10 months ago #25938

• Thank you received: 0
That's true! But you know how those old proprietary programs are: basically impossible to change (IRAF I'm looking at you).

Anyway I'll write a short PowerShell script to rename the files adequately. Thanks anyway!
5 years 10 months ago #25940

• Thank you received: 301
Maybe you could open a wishlist item to format capture names in the same way as RawTherapee does: printf format specifiers for the different elements of the file. "%y%m%d_%h%m%s_%t_%f_%03n.%.3e".

This would probably be an improvement over the naming options in the capture tab. That might mitigate issues such as all captures stored to the same filter subfolder because the filter checkbox is not ticked, to the same file because the timestamp checkbox is not ticked, or overwriting a previous target because "target" doesn't evaluate to anything.

-Eric
5 years 10 months ago #25952

This would certainly be a welcomed improvement to the naming mechanism. However the current way scheduler and sequences work are by checking signature of images, so as soon as the user alter the format, they can run into issues to continue to the sequence.
5 years 10 months ago #25953

• Thank you received: 301
Yes, caution is required. Currently the scheduler enumerates whatever files are in "target/light/filter/*" and use that as count towards sequence completion.

-Eric
5 years 10 months ago #25963

Time to create page: 0.522 seconds