INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How to uninstall completely KStars ?

• Thank you received: 33
I learnt that there might be some problems caused by updating KStars version after version.
To start a fresh install I need to get rid of all the KStars files and folders.
Some of them are not obvious . Where are they located ?
It would be nice if someone could also provide the function of these folders / files.
For instance, I know that the Profiles, Equipment list (Telescope, Eyepieces, Lens, Filter) and Device Manager list are stored in userdb.sqlite (In macOS the path is ~/Library/Application Support/kstars/userdb.sqlite)
Thank you
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Jean-Claude JESIOR.
5 years 10 months ago #26194

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
There are not too many files/folders.

1. There is the main KStars app bundle which is wherever you put It, but probably /Applications/KStars.app.
2. There is the KStars Data Directory: ~/Library/Application Support/kstars
3. There is the KStars preferences file: ~/Library/Preferences/kstarsrc
(Note that in that same folder, you might also have kstars.kmessagebox, kstars.notifyrc, and kstars.plist)
4. This is not only for KStars, but also for Cloudmakers software, there is the astrometry folder full of index files: ~/Library/Application Support/Astrometry/
5. Also not unique to KStars, but also for any KDE app, there are the translation files: ~/Library/Application Support/locale
6. Also not unique to KStars, but also for any KDE app, there are the sounds files for notifications: ~/Library/Application Support/sounds
7. Log files can also get saved by INDI into ~/.indi/ I believe

I think thats pretty much it,

Thanks,

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Jean-Claude JESIOR
5 years 10 months ago #26199

• Thank you received: 0
Hi there, I installed Kstars yesterday and it start up fine and I spent 30 mins looking at the menus etc, I then decided to update the satellite and comet data bases and initiated both downloads and it hung up. Now when i try to restart app it crashes when it states it is loading "Satellites" I have deleted and reinstalled the app a couple of times (I mean it is dragged into applications folder using installer but when launched to install itself it crashes). Then I followed the hidden paths you describe above but have not found any of the files/folders at all in those directories?? The only thing I can see upon reinstall is the Kstars app which will not install itself. Would rolling back my OS using time machine help. Or is Kstars not compatiable with OSX 10.12.6 which could be causing the crash?
Thanks Allan
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Allan Thompson.
5 years 8 months ago #27012

Problem was fixed. Looks like some files got corrupted somehow.
5 years 8 months ago #27014

• Thank you received: 0
Is this an active thread or archived post?

I have the latest stable release of KStars installed on my MacBook Pro (Catalina) but I never use the Drag-to-trash method to uninstall an app. Because this quick fix has a significant drawback - all the application’s service files will be left behind on your Mac. These files will continue to consume storage space while the app was removed.

To completely uninstall/reinstall KStars or other bloated application completely, you need to remove its executable file and all the service files stored in ~/Library and /Library folders (as mentioned by rlancaste).

Here is list of the most common folders that store KStars orphans:

~Library > Application Support
~Library > Caches
~Library > Logs
~Library > Preferences
~Library > Containers
~Library > Cookies
(here's my www.minicreo.com/mac-uninstaller/how-to-...on-mac.htmlreference )
Many thanks,

Clem
3 years 10 months ago #53696

Time to create page: 0.493 seconds