INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

File transfer speeds

• Thank you received: 1

File transfer speeds was created by Matt

Hello - feel free to move this if this is the wrong location

I am new to stellarmate, INDI and Ekos. One thing I don't understand is why the for transfer speed over my wifi back to my client laptop is so slow. I am imaging with a ASI1600, so normal frames (unbinned) are 31Mb. Transferring these via Ekos to my client laptop takes more than a minute - seems close to two. However, if I ssh into the stellarmate and copy over the files to my client machine via scp it takes about 5 seconds. What is the reason for this discrepancy?
5 years 7 months ago #28885

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic File transfer speeds

File transfer in INDI always has more overhead because it needs to transmit the file using INDI Protocol over the network. So the file is first converted to base64 encoding, then transmitted, then base64 is converted back to raw format. I just tested with StellarMate over Hotspot with QHY 168C (5040x3358 32MB) and it took 22 seconds.

When I tried enabling compression in Image Setting, it took 2 minutes! So compression made things worse most likely due to limitations in the ARM chip. On x86 systems, it would probably be beneficial. So if you have compression on in INDI Control Panel --> ASI --> Image Settings.. make sure it is turned off and then go to Options --> Save Configuration.
5 years 7 months ago #28893

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds