INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[FIXED] kstars on Windows crashes when loading a large fit file

• Thank you received: 0
In the last session, Ekos capture module crashed when loading a fit file sent from the remote INDI server on RPi3. The INDI server was still running on RPi3, so the issue is on the client side.
I tested with two DSLRs to find that the crash occurs for images taken with Nikon D810, but not those with D5300. Attached are the final parts of Ekos logs with these cams.
kstars on Windows crashes when a fit file taken with D810 is loaded on the FITs viewer.
I also tested with kstars on Mac, but the Fits viewer works fine with both DSLRs.
Is there any limitation on memory for kstars on Windows, or any work-around?
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Koichi Funakubo.
5 years 6 months ago #29631
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can you please post a link to a Nikon D810 image so I can test it here?
5 years 6 months ago #29794

The followings are the links to the upload files:
RAW
www.dropbox.com/s/vtl4jgte36rwulw/D81_2216.NEF?dl=0

Debayered fit
www.dropbox.com/s/lo40v6hqj06q286/D81_2216_d.fit?dl=0

BTW, I tried to find a work-around and noticed that reducing the size in the capture module to, say, 3000 x 2000, avoids the crash and the FITs viewer shows the downloaded image. As long as I select the Card as the capture destination in the INDI control panel, full-sized images are kept on the card, so I can finish a sequence without the crash of Ekos.
Since a fit file sent from my D5300 with the full resolution (6016 x 4016) does not cause any crash, at least this size of fits will be downloaded to the FITs viewer on Windows.
5 years 6 months ago #29798

• Thank you received: 69
Is there any loss of functionality in using the full size card images in your workflow? I'm a newbie and was under the impression that by doing plate solving and enabling WCS in the saved fits images that these would be intrinsically more useful for subsequent processing in PixInsight?
5 years 5 months ago #30277

Seems files not available anymore?
5 years 5 months ago #30286

Jasem,
Try the links again. Now they seem to work.

jerry,
sorry, I cannot inspect the fits, which I had thrown away. I think I had the full-sized RAWs on the card andthe smaller size of fits with the WCS on the client.
5 years 5 months ago #30314

This is the largest FITS I ever opened.. 416MB!

I just tried on both Linux and Windows and no issues with latest nightly. Check video.

5 years 5 months ago #30322
Attachments:

load_large_fits.mp4

It's so good to see the large FIT can be opened in the latest kstars.
How can I get the latest nightly BINARY on Win ?
5 years 5 months ago #30325

The following user(s) said Thank You: Koichi Funakubo
5 years 5 months ago #30326

Thanks, Jasem.
I can open the large FIT by "Open" under the File menu of Ver. 2.9.8, but it crashes kstars 2.9.8 when I try to Preview in the capture module of Ekos.
Since I'm now out of home, I'll check later whether the Preview in the latest nightly built work or not for images captured by D810.
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Koichi Funakubo.
5 years 5 months ago #30327

The nightly #218 doesn't crash when a fit loaded sent from RPi3, which is captured by D810.
Thanks, again, Jasem.

However, there arises another issue.
Since it was cloudy last night, I was testing kstars nightly #218 on Windows 10 with the simulators on RPi3.
The kstars crashed, when an image was loaded in the plate solver module. No log is left and the INDI server was still running on the RPi3. It crashes before ansvr starts, no processing logs shown in the console at the bottom of the Ekos panel.
Turning back to 2.9.8, the solver works well, while kstars crashes on loading an image in the capture module just as before.
I hope this will be solved in the coming nightly.
5 years 5 months ago #30348

The nightly #221 now has no issue on the previously reported ones:
1. FITS viewer in the capture module on loading a large FIT file (already fixed in the nightly #218)
2. FITS viewer in the Alignment module on loading a captured image (brought in the nightly #218, but not in 2.9.8 release)
5 years 5 months ago #30419

Time to create page: 0.335 seconds