INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Dithering while guiding?

• Thank you received: 8
Hello,

The Guide Module help promises that you can click the dithering button and enter a number of pixels. But in my setup, it only says "manual dithering" in the button hover message. What should I do to get automatic dithering?

Thanks,
Charles
Ubuntu 18.04 and Raspbian Jessie; INDI 1.7.4
Mounts: CEM-60 chiefly; iEQ45
Cameras: Atik 383L+, QHY5-II-M
Focuser: Moonlite
5 years 6 months ago #29728

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 26
Look in the Options... Guide settings down right.
5 years 6 months ago #29732

Can you please be more specific? Your guide module looks just like mine, and there's no dither config.
5 years 6 months ago #29734

• Thank you received: 26
The video shows the specific actions to enable dithering. otherwise, check the version of KStars
5 years 6 months ago #29756

• Thank you received: 161

Replied by Alfred on topic Dithering while guiding?

CRW, normally you'd click at Options in the Guide tab and another window would open that looks like the one in the upper right corner. You'd select Guide and define your dither parameters. Somehow, however, I have the impression something is different with your config since you'd certainly have figured this out on your own. Can you provide a screenshot of your Guide/Options window?

Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Alfred.
5 years 6 months ago #29757
Attachments:

Hi,

Thanks for the screenshot. I can't provide one right now, but if the "Options" button is the button right next to the one labeled "Stop", then I definitely do not get the Options window shown to the right in your screenshot. If we're talking about a different "Options" button, then I don't see it in your screenshot, nor do I see it in the GUI when I'm in the guide module.

Obviously it's hard to talk about an "Options" button if there's nothing in the GUI labeled with that word.

Assuming that I'm correct (the button to the right of "Stop" is the guide options button), then clicking it does nothing for me - no window pops up. When I hover over it, there's a tooltip-style message that comes up that says "manual dithering" or something like that. I can provide those details and a screenshot later today when I get home.

I believe I'm using the latest kstars/Ekos, since I've got the PPA in my apt sources, and I'm up to date with updates. I'll confirm the version when I get home.

Charles
5 years 6 months ago #29762

• Thank you received: 161

Replied by Alfred on topic Dithering while guiding?

Charles, it's placed in the bottom right corner of the guide window as can be seen in the screenshot. It's labeled "Options". ;-)

I agree it's placed a bit unfurtunately as at first I was of the opinion it had something to do with the log window it is placed next to (just like the CLEAR button). But it hasn't. It's the general Options button and its tooltip is "Advanced Ekos Options".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charles Wright
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Alfred.
5 years 6 months ago #29763

Ha ha! The joke's on me :-)
I had the same thought. I've trained myself to not notice buttons in that area, since I only care about logging when something goes wrong. I imagine things will progress more smoothly now.
Thanks so much,
Charles
5 years 6 months ago #29765

• Thank you received: 5
Thanks for your explanations...

I really had a hard time finding the options.

In my opinion one of the downsides of Kstars/Ekos is the sometimes incoherent way the settings are organised.
Why is the guiding-setup and dithering located in the planetarium-software Kstars and not in the astrophotography module Ekos???

Thanks and CS
Chris
5 years 5 months ago #31670

The guiding & dithering options _are_ in Ekos.
5 years 5 months ago #31671

• Thank you received: 5
Hi Jasem,

perhaps I didn't get it right, because the settings window uses the same icon as the guide-setup within KStars and the window title is "Configure - KStars"... So shame on me!

But my real intention is to make this a normal setting within the Ekos-GUI - in my opinion the "Manual Dither" button would be an ideal spot for a general "Dithering" button.

I really grew to like EKOS and massively appreciate your encouragement, Jasem, but the multiple-location setup-structure makes it newbies hard to get along.
I hope that you take it for what it is - hopefully constructive criticism. Please don't take it for anything more...

Cheers & keep up the great work

Chris
5 years 5 months ago #31677

Hi,

As the OP, I would agree that the guiding configuration button would be much better placed prominently in the guiding module window (sub-window?). This would be consistent with the Principle of Least Surprise . On the other hand, if there's some software structure thing that's preventing that, then we'll just have to get used to it! :P

Charles
The following user(s) said Thank You: Christian Deppe
5 years 5 months ago #31693

Time to create page: 0.493 seconds