INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Azimuth calculation in the main screen is wrong

• Thank you received: 182
The Azimuth in the Ekos dashboard is not calculated correctly. As the mount is approaching the meridian, the azimuth value shown in the dashboard decreases by 1 degree (!, not minute) every few seconds and continues to count down rapidly. Last night as I was collecting a whole night's worth of images on M33 it approached 249 degrees within a few minutes after flipping, then it reversed itself and started counting up towards 359 again. It did not affect the functioning of the mount or its ability to flip on time, but if you are keeping an eye on the azimuth to gauge when the mount should flip, it won't work.

Here the log from last night.

www.dropbox.com/s/otd7k2rq4h7orri/log_19-26-29.txt?dl=0

PS: I am not using the nightly version, but the stable 2.9.8
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Jose Corazon.
5 years 5 months ago #30051

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Has anybody else noticed the same issue?

It is possible that this is already fixed in the nightly version, if so, please let me know. If not, it might be worth looking whether the aberrant data impact on other functions of Ekos and could potentially cause some of the other problems I have been reading about here recently.
5 years 5 months ago #30080

• Thank you received: 301
The dashboard you refer to is the first panel of the Ekos window, top-right coordinates? How long had you been running KStars for prior to this observation?

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Corazon
5 years 5 months ago #30083

• Thank you received: 138
What was the maximum elevation of M33? Was it close to overhead?
If it was then this could account for the azimuth values looking incorrect. At the zenith the azimuth is indeterminate and very close the values will change very rapidly. Tiny errors in positions will be amplified.
Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric, Jose Corazon
5 years 5 months ago #30088

Of course, you are right , Chris! Shows us what sleep deprivation is doing to our brains. When M33 was passing through the meridian it was at almost 88 degrees altitude. All I could remember the next morning was the AZ reading spinning like a compass at the North Pole.

Problem solved. I hang my head in shame.
5 years 5 months ago #30097

Time to create page: 0.367 seconds