INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

internal guiding via iOptron mount (not ST4)

• Thank you received: 57
I'm trying to guide using Ekos internal guide software with an ASI174mini guide camera and a small guide scope via my iOptron CEM25 mount rather than the ST-4 port on the guider. I know the mount can do this, because I routinely guide it through PHD2 without the ST-4 cable. I have selected "via iOptron CEM25" in the guide options.

Two nights ago I tried this and couldn't get the mount to move at all during calibration. I didn't save logs and now the weather has turned poor. I can certainly try again in a few nights and post logs then.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Am I missing some kind of setting in the INDI control panel that would allow auto guide pulses to be sent to and received by the mount? Is there something else besides the "via" radio button in the guider options?

Thanks for any help.
5 years 5 months ago #30409

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 94
Hi. So you removed the st4 cable -or disconnected it- but with what did you replace it? How is the mount now connected to ekos?
Cheers
5 years 5 months ago #30411

You're not missing anything, via is the only thing required. I presume in the mount, the guiding rate is set to 0.5x? just double check that. Also, make sure the mount is tracking (RA & DE values stay the same with time) before you begin guiding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott Denning
5 years 5 months ago #30412

• Thank you received: 155
Should be an easy fix. I have been guiding my CEM25 without an S-4 cable for a year now. I connect EKOS to the CEM25 mount via the iOptron StarFi WIFI now, but have used the standard RS232 cable too. Both work perfectly. I select the CEM25 mount in the VIA control box in the guider settings, and EKOS sends the correct guide commands.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Scott Denning
5 years 5 months ago #30425

Ekos can slew and track the mount just fine. I will double-check the guiding rate in the mount itself. Yes, tracking was working ... I was able to capture 30 unguided subs over 2.5 hours on the night when the guider wouldn't move the mount.

Once the weather clears I will turn on logging and do a test in Ekos with both PHD2 and the internal guider. If I can't get it to calibrate in Ekos, hopefully the logs will shed some light on why not.

Many thanks!
5 years 5 months ago #30426

Thanks. I also haven't used an ST-4 cable on any mount in many years, and I also control from Ekos through IP using the StarFi.

Weather is clearing so I should have a chance to test again this week.
5 years 5 months ago #30428

• Thank you received: 155
Also - try turning OFF the guider SUBFRAME option in the guider module.
5 years 5 months ago #30431

Happy to report that this worked just fine last night. I don't know what I was doing wrong last week, but no trouble at all getting Ekos internal guider to calibrate and guide very nicely via the IOptron CEM 25 and StarFi (no cables at all between computer and mount)!

Thanks to all for your patience with my newbie questions.
5 years 5 months ago #30458

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic internal guiding via iOptron mount (not ST4)

I was trying to get autoguiding working on my eq5pro using phd2 & qhy5 Finder guider connected using the st4 port. When I start to calibrate the selected guide star moves west as expected of about 16 steps, when phd2 changes to move east the star doesn't move back at all. After this the declination backlash won't clear. I know the system is balanced and the gotos work fine. So I then took the scopes off the mount and put them on an Ioptron Smart EqPro and everything works fine. Is there a way of checking the st4 port on the eq5pro please? Lucky Patcher 9Apps VidMate
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by a Guest.
5 years 4 months ago #31707

Time to create page: 0.292 seconds