INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Capture limits: HFR

• Thank you received: 133
I'm currently experimenting with the auto focus monitoring during a seuence, but I'm not sure if I understand it correctly.
I had entered a limit in the Capture tab (1.7) and checked the radio box. However, after the first inter-frame AF check that number had been reset to a different (much lower) value, and after the second check it started an AF run because the HFR had been higher than that new value (still much lower than the limit I had entered).
After some manual reading I found the options in the EKOS config where I can enter a threshold modifier value for this updating of the HFR limit. So I increased that.
But now I'm wondering how this is supposed to work. Assume I have a slow focus drift - then the automatik nicely raises the limit together with the degrading focus, and it would never actually do a refocus. Waht am I missing? Can't I just have the HFR check without this adaptive update, just against a *fixed* value??
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
5 years 5 months ago #31442

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Capture limits: HFR

Right, this is now done by default. I added an option to capture module settings to toggle "Use Median Value" on and off. The change is in KStars nightly.
5 years 5 months ago #31456

• Thank you received: 133
Aah! So this is what it does, it takes the median of past values and applies the modifier on that? Sounds reasonable, and explains what I saw last night. I left it 'on' with a large modifier value and noticed that while it still reacted on changes in the last value, the amount got less and less. So the issue is mostly during the first (few?) measurements.

One thing which irritated me was that I could still enter a value manually in the Capture tab. Maybe that input should be grayed out when median is active, and only display the current limit?

Also, when/how is the history reset? Can I enforce that somehow? I'm running AF on the current filter, so the value changes when I do a filter change. I'll keep exploring, and will try to set up git compile for kstars, too, so I can enjoy the newest ones.

Thanks!
5 years 5 months ago #31458

Time to create page: 0.609 seconds