INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

HiPS gone after update

• Thank you received: 133
Hi,

I know that's a kstars question, not EKOS/INDI, but I hope I can also get some feedback.
My HiPS overlay is suddenly gone. I only get the option 'None'. I'm not sure what triggered it. I had installed the latest version of kstars git, and also updated my system. And I'm sure I used DSS color overlay yesterday.
I don't see an error message regarding this in the logs - any idea where I could start looking for the cause?
This s****, just wanted to start looking for targets for tonight....
5 years 4 months ago #32259

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Update - that seems to be an issue in the sqlite database. I saw this in the logs:
[2018-12-02T18:18:03.171 WET INFO ][                org.kde.kstars] - Qt Version: 5.11.2
[2018-12-02T18:18:03.484 WET WARN ][                org.kde.kstars] - QSqlError("26", "Unable to execute statement", "file is not a database")
[2018-12-02T18:18:03.484 WET WARN ][                org.kde.kstars] - Detected old format filter table, re-creating...
[2018-12-02T18:18:03.484 WET WARN ][                org.kde.kstars] - QSqlError("26", "Unable to execute statement", "file is not a database")
so I moved the userdb.sqlite away, now HiPS is back - but my whole EKOS config is gone. :(
Are there any tools to fix that thing?
5 years 4 months ago #32260

Looks I completely messed up now. after copying back that sqlite file still ALL EKOS config is gone.

There goes the observing night......
5 years 4 months ago #32261

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic HiPS gone after update

Looks like the file got corrupted somehow. This is not an update issue since the update doesn't install or changes this file. Maybe some issue with the file system?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Sütterlin
5 years 4 months ago #32264

Hi Jasem,

thanks! Yes, I figured that out. Still unfortunate. Is there a way to properly backup the configuration? Should it be enough to just copy the sqlite file (when kstars is not running)? I guess in my case it didn't help because it already had been bad...

I had a crash of kstars this morning when trying some stuff, likely that one corrupted the file.

Fortunately although I had to create new profiles for EKOS, the main settings of everything were still fine, so I'm currently running again :D
Still scratching my head which configuration parts are stored where. Guess I need to RTFM more often...
5 years 4 months ago #32265

• Thank you received: 812
Yes, I think you should make a backup of your most important configuration files just in case something happens. Sometimes if I am working on something that I know will change my settings (which I will want back to my settings later)l, I will copy my config files somewhere else, then do what I want to do, then copy the files back again.
5 years 4 months ago #32269

• Thank you received: 57
Well this is an odd coincidence -- I am also unable to see HIPS overlays all of a sudden, and I have also had a major system re-arrangement today.

My Ekos profiles look fine, but when I View HIPS overlays, all I get are weird bands of horizontal blotches that look like smeared out stars. Looks like old analog TV static.

All is well when I turn off the HIPS displays.

I have reinstalled KStars, but the corrupted static still appears with any and all HIPS overlays.

Is there a file or directory I can delete someplace and re-download the HIPS imagery?
5 years 4 months ago #32275

Indeed intriguing....
I did have issues with the display, too. Especially also with my local horizon (I had defined one). Things *seem* much smoother now.
The HiPS stuff is downloaded and cached IIRC. Maybe that one is also organized in that database? At least that was the only file I moved away. So you could try that (move ~/.local/share/kstars/userdb.sqlite away to start it from scratch)
Then again, you might better not follow my suggestions after what I did to my setup :o
But as I understand the advice from rlancaste you can just back up/copy those files and restore them later.
5 years 4 months ago #32276

• Thank you received: 812
Yes put those files you care about in a VERY safe place while you play with things and experiment. I have accidentally misplaced them before. . .
5 years 4 months ago #32278

• Thank you received: 57
I got my HIPS overlays back ... not sure how, but thanks for the help!
5 years 4 months ago #32279

• Thank you received: 161

Replied by Alfred on topic HiPS gone after update

Like this?
5 years 4 months ago #32285
Attachments:

I've seen similar corruptions, too.

But I was refering to a local horizon to map obstructions. That worked fine in Alt-Az display mode, but in Ra-Dec the polygon would be drawn distorted all over the sky.
I lost the horizon definition during my crash, I first have to recreate it to further investigate and/or show examples...
5 years 4 months ago #32315

Time to create page: 0.837 seconds