INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Kstars crashes

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by Antonio Soffici on topic Kstars crashes

Ah, ok.
So, no total noob, then
5 years 2 months ago #33329

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello rlancaste.
No, the Mac is connected directly to the equipment (only CCD and FW, as I haven't been able to connect the EQ8 mount, yet) via KStars
The guider goes to another USB port
5 years 2 months ago #33330

Hello rlancaste,
tonight I tried what you suggested.
From the attached Terminal log you'll see I had a bit of a struggle with Terminal before being able to load KStars the way you suggested.
Unfortunately I read your last message only after having set up the sequence (but before loading it in the scheduler), so the sluggish behaviour may be only partially documented, if at all.
I managed to create the sequence, to load it and to run it (simulators only) without crashes, but then THIS happened:

What happened to the resolution of KStars?
I reckon there is some work to be done on the Mac version of KStars...
Terminal log attached, along with the screenshot

Hope this helps

Cheers
Antonio

File Attachment:

File Name: KStarsCrashes.txt
File Size:920 KB
5 years 2 months ago #33951
Attachments:

Oh, forgot to mention: I've bought the Stellarmate, and with Jasem's help I have managed to make it work (mostly) like clockwork.
Just a few wrinkles to iron out, bot for that I need moonless nights and my cough to pass.
This is the reason I've been away from this thread for so long
Sorry...
Cheers
Antonio
5 years 2 months ago #33952

• Thank you received: 809

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Kstars crashes

Yes it looks like you logged the output very well. But from the output it looks like it didn't crash correct? I will have to look through it more carefully to see if any of the messages that print are any different than on mine, if so that might explain some speed issues or maybe even crash issues. I don't know, but I will look when I get a chance.

As to the resolution of the icons on the top bar getting very large, I have seen that before. It is a bug that showed up recently, but it is not a KStars bug as far as I can tell. I think it is a QT Bug. We will need to report it to them. Did the resolution issue happen when you tried the star profile viewer or the what's interesting window? I suspect it might happen sometimes for those items because they both use QT's createWindowContainer function. That function was buggy in a different way several versions of qt ago.

Thanks,

Rob
5 years 2 months ago #33953

Hello rlancaste,
dude, your'e a mind reader!
Ok, let's start from the end:
1) star profile viewer had been on for 2-3 seconds when the toolbar thing happened (I reckon QT means Quick Time, correct me if I'm wrong)
2) correct, no crashes, only sluggish behaviour of the laptop. One funny quirk I've discovered is that the laptop becomes totally inoperable for a few seconds when KStars launches, right up to the splash screen. Then it's normal until I try to save/load the .esq file and KStars has to access or somehow interact with the Finder.

All of this is less of a priority, thanks to the Stellarmate and Jasem's help, but I'd like to have the flexibility of being able to connect directly to my gear, without SM (also a backup strategy in the unlikely case the SM breaks or something else happens to it).

Keep up the good work
Clear Skies
Antonio
5 years 2 months ago #33955

Nope not really a mind reader ;-). Its just that I already know about the bug you mentioned happening sometimes, but it isn't our bug so it's hard to address.

QT doesn't mean quick time, QT is the cross platform SDK that KStars and many other programs are built upon. It's like the foundation. It is the reason we can write code for KStars and then it works on Linux, Mac, and Windows. www.qt.io

No the sluggish behavior you are reporting is definitely not normal. I don't see that on my system and many other folks have used KStars on their Macs and its not that slow. That is something strange. Do you maybe have many other programs running and don't have enough RAM?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Antonio Soffici
5 years 2 months ago #33960

Ah, ok. This level of ignorance shows how little I know about coding...
No other programs running when the sluggish behaviour happens.
I've tried firing up KStars with even wi-fi off, just in case.
Always the same.
But when I downloaded and installed 3.0, I hadn't uninstalled 2.9.8 I just compressed it (just in case 3.0 were a total dud) and dragged the app to the rubbish bin.
Would you suggest a clean re-install, as in "nuke KStars with something like AppZapper and reinstall it from scratch"?
5 years 2 months ago #33962

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Guillem on topic Kstars crashes

Hi,

I had similar problems ... follow this link

Tips: disable FITS viewer , and zram ..., I also update to Kstars 3.1 ... ( sudo apt-get update , sudo apt-get upgrade ...)

All the problems were on the raspberry ( doing all the hard work ). On my laptop with ubuntu 18.04 Kstars, never crashed...

This QT messages in the logs, may get confussion.

good luck and clear skies

Guillem
5 years 2 months ago #33963

Guillem, I'm too much of an informatics caveman to use Ubuntu or anything Linux.
I'm on a Mac and we're still on 3.0.0
5 years 2 months ago #33964

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Guillem on topic Kstars crashes

So, you may have some options:

1- send system logs to the MAC OS people... who knows if they can help...
2- Use you mac only for remote desktop, raspberry will do all the job ( I know it can ;-) )
3- Do more tests, and share information is this forum...
4- Once, I send some logs to KDE developpers ...
5- try to update Kstars to 3.1

good luck
Clear Skies

Guillem
5 years 2 months ago #33965

Guillem, we are the KStars developers. Unless the problem is from some other KDE program, we are the ones to talk to. There is no 3.1 for Mac OS yet because I haven't built the 3.1 DMG yet because I had an issue last week with the build. The build issue is not with KStars but with Craft and QT. I sent a message to the KDE folks about the issue and I am waiting for a response. I would not recommend sending a message to Apple, because they don't send them to us. It really doesn't do anything to help. But yes, the best idea is to post whatever information you find on this forum so I can look into it.

Thanks,

Rob
5 years 2 months ago #33969

Time to create page: 0.989 seconds