INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Kstars crashes

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Odd Høydalsvik on topic Kstars crashes

I have tried 3.1.0 and last night I downloaded also 3.1.1. But the crash error is still there. The symptoms are the same. Crash while loading image into FITS viewer.
I loose at least 50% of clear sky time due to tthis.
This is really frustrating. I love the features of Ekos/Stellarmate and I very much appreciate the effort the development team puts into the system. But if this is not fixed, I must soon look for another system.

Rgards,
Odd
5 years 1 month ago #36257

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420

Replied by Wouter van Reeven on topic Kstars crashes

Do you actually need to load the images in the FITS viewer? In other words, can’t you disable the FITS viewer while you’re shooting to avoid crashes and make use of the clear sky time?

Wouter
5 years 1 month ago #36261

At least I need to load image at startup, to see that the composition is right, and to check exposure, focus, etc.
Maybe I could live without viewing images after that, but very often the crash occur before I am ready to start a sequence.

/Odd
5 years 1 month ago #36263

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Kstars crashes

I can't reproduce crash on Windows. What are you settings? your camera? is it random or consistent?
5 years 1 month ago #36264

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by Marco de Keizer on topic Kstars crashes

I have experienced kstars crashes since I started using my Stellarmate. I learned the hard way, that I should not touch any of the preview screen or the Fits viewer. If I try to zoom in and out a few times. Kstars crashes altogether, all screens get killed immediately. I hoped that running all screens (Kstart, Ekos, Fits) in independent windows would make sure only the Fits viewer or Ekos would crash but that is not the case.

FYI this is all happening on my stellarmate while controlling it via VNC.
5 years 1 month ago #36266

• Thank you received: 812

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Kstars crashes

Do you have zram installed?

I would suspect that this is a memory issue since you are trying to load images on the pi. It only has 1 gb remember.

Zram can give you a little boost by adding a compressed swap file for extra ram into ram. Swap files do slow the system down just a little as a cost for the little bit of fake ram, but since this swap file is actually in ram it does not really. Also swap files tend to wear out the hard drive since they have to be read and written to all the time. But again, since zram puts its swap file in ram, that disadvantage is gone. There is very little cost to the system resources actually, and the gain could help, here is the command to install it on Ubuntu:

sudo apt-get -y install zram-config
5 years 1 month ago #36272

I run Kstars/Ekos on Window 10, Stellarmate runs the rest.
Camera ASI1600MM-Pro
Guidecam: ASI120MM
Mount: Skywatcher AZ-Eq 6 via EQdir
Focuser: Microtuch

Crashes happen as described earlier in the tread, while an image has been captured and is about to be loaded int Fitsviewer.
This may happen during preparations for shooting, i.e. taking preview shots in order to evaluate composition and exposure, or in a programmed sequence.
The only thing that is consistent is that it happens right after image download, and before the image is rendered on screen.
Once the crash happend during plate solve.
I will upload a couple of log files

After an image is loaded, I don't experience any crash while zooming or opening histogram (like others report).

/Odd
5 years 1 month ago #36273

No, Kstars Ekos runs on the PC. Images are transferred to the PC and loaded there. Not on the PI.

/Odd
5 years 1 month ago #36274

Log files from yesterday
5 years 1 month ago #36275
Attachments:

If I want to try without the FitsViewer, is this the right way to disable it?
Any other boxes to tick/untick?
5 years 1 month ago #36277
Attachments:

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Kstars crashes

Does the crash happen even if you're not guiding? I am now testing with ASI178C and ASI120M. The 120m is running in a loop in the guide module capturing once a second, while the 178 is capturing 30 seconds. I even limited the OS RAM to 2GB and only 1 CPU.. it's still running without issues after 79/100 exposures.

I'd say test with one camera only (nothing else is connected), then two with the 120m..etc. then add the mount..etc. We need to find out what causes it to crash .

5 years 1 month ago #36342
Attachments:

My general experience is that if I only take darks and flats with just the main camera in operation, I see no crashes.
It mainly occurs when running a real session with guiding.
I have not tried imaging without guiding, but I can try to carry out the steps you suggest next clear night. It may be a while though. Weather forecast is not good...
But meanwhile I can try out as much as I can inside.

BTW. Yesterday evening I had 5 consecutive crashes. They all occurred after the second or third image had been downloaded.
On the sixt attempt everything worked very well, and I could gaher about 5 hours of data.

/Odd
5 years 1 month ago #36345

Time to create page: 0.574 seconds