INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Capture module: confused about state of TEC cooler

• Thank you received: 8
Hi,

I just updated to kstars 3.0.0, build 2018-12-19 and noticed some new GUI behavior in the capture module. The cooler has on/off buttons. I don't remember these being there before (older version from around September-ish). But anyway, they don't seem to do what they say they do - the sense seems backwards.

Specifically, these steps:
1) I open the Ekos capture module after connecting all devices. The "On" Cooler button is red and the temperature is room temp.
2) I enter my desired temperature, say, -10 and click the check button. A log message appears saying "Cooler is off", and the "Off" button turns red. Yet the temperature now starts to drop and continues until it reaches -10.
3) I click the red "Off" button and a log message appears, stating "Cooler is on" and the "On" button is now red ("Off" is now gray). Temperature starts rising.
4) I click the "On" button and the log message says "Cooler is off", but the temperature starts dropping. "Off" button is now the red one.
5) I click the red "Off" button and the log message says "Cooler is on" and the "On" button is now the red one. Temp starts rising.

So at least the buttons function as labelled - "Off" shuts off; "On" turns on. But the log messages are clearly the wrong sense.

Also, I find the color change to be confusing. I would expect the button colors would work the way the tracking on/off buttons work in the mount module. The operation of these buttons is more intuitive. If I want to stop tracking, I click "Off", and after a confirmation, the tracking stops and the button turns red, indicating the state of tracking. If the cooler on/off buttons worked this way, plus the log message was correct, I think these buttons would make more sense.

Camera: Atik 383L+

Thanks a lot,

Charles
Ubuntu 18.04 and Raspbian Jessie; INDI 1.7.4
Mounts: CEM-60 chiefly; iEQ45
Cameras: Atik 383L+, QHY5-II-M
Focuser: Moonlite
5 years 2 months ago #33149

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 140
Yes, this is something that needs attaention, I am sure @knro (Jasem) will sort this on due course...
5 years 2 months ago #33156

THanks for the report, I'll check this out ASAP. It's an issue with ATIK, not Ekos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charles Wright
5 years 2 months ago #33163

So I just checked and they seem to work as intended.

On is the state. If you click On, and the drivers refuses to turn on, Off will be highlighted. I tested this with 314L. You can submit the logs for your camera and see what would be causing this but currently they behave as expected. They reflect the cooler state and offer to control it.
5 years 2 months ago #33191

Hi Jasem,

I have attached a log file. I hope it's useful because there doesn't seem to be much info, even with verbose logging.

If you search for "Cooler is off", the first occurrence corresponds to Step 2 in my previous email. About 3 minutes later, it says "Cooler is on", corresponding to Step 3, etc. In each case, whenever the log message says "on", the temperature starts rising, and vice versa. And the button colors also are as described.

I don't understand your reply. When I click "On", the cooler indeed turns on, but the "Off" button turns red. It seems like the driver is returning a result code that's the opposite of what's expected, rather than refusing to turn on, because it does in fact turn on the cooler. I am sure your 314L did what you says it does, but for the 383L+, it's definitely incorrect messages and indicators. If I figure out how to record my screen session, I'll upload that.

Charles
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Charles Wright.
5 years 2 months ago #33266
Attachments:

Now, with the attachment, I hope.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Charles Wright.
5 years 2 months ago #33267
Attachments:

Thanks, I just pushed some changes to GIT with more logging and hopefully a better behavior for the switch. Please check it out and report back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charles Wright
5 years 2 months ago #33274

Thanks! Will do and get back to you before the weekend is over. Sorry to be dense, but what do I download/update? I've never been so close to the bleeding edge before :-}

Charles
5 years 2 months ago #33295

Time to create page: 0.583 seconds