INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Beginner: Can’t get EKOS on MacBook to communicate with Sirius mount

• Thank you received: 0
This is the first time I have ever tried controlling a mount with a computer, so I’m certain I’m doing something very wrong. I can not get kstars/EKOS to communicate or even find my Orion Sirius Mount.

Connection: the SynScan handset has a USB b port in the bottom that I am connecting directly to my MacBook Air with a USB b to USB a cable that I had laying around from an old printer. I’m reasonably certain that the cable works because I used it to update the firmware on the hand unit connected to my desktop PC (running Windows 7).

I have gone through the device manager and every time I try to connect, it says that the device is not found. I have tried manually changing the port to USB0, USB1, and USB2 with no success.

I have tried connecting with the handset in regular mode (after aligning) and in PC direct mode.

I’m pretty certain that I’m missing something at a very basic level but I have no idea what it is. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
5 years 1 month ago #34760

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Welcome to INDI forum!

If you go to the mount Connection tab, what ports do you see detected in the system ports? Are you sure your Mac system does not need drivers for whatever chip (FTDI?) is in use?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred
5 years 1 month ago #34775

The ports detected are:

dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port

and

/dev/cu.usbserial

I have no idea whether or not I need a driver. I went to the FTDI website (I never heard of that before you mentioned it) and I see quite a few options for drivers. I'm guessing this is my big hurdle right now- finding a driver that will allow my computer to recognize the SynScan hand unit.
5 years 1 month ago #34822

• Thank you received: 809
Try the port /dev/cu.usbserial. That should be the right one.
5 years 1 month ago #34824

When I set that as the port, I get this message:

[WARNING] Communication with /dev/cu.usbserial @ 9600 failed. Starting Auto Search...
5 years 1 month ago #34826

I'm thinking I'm missing a driver but for what, I don't know. I'm connected directly to the handset via USB cable (nothing in between) and I don't think SynScan makes a driver for Macintosh computers.
5 years 1 month ago #34827

No you don’t need a driver from Synscan or skywatcher etc. that is what the INDI driver is for. The only thing you might need a driver for would be the Usb to serial adapter or FTDI internal adapter if there is one which it sounds like there is. I can check the settings that I used to connect to a synscan later this week
5 years 1 month ago #34835

I've figured out the problem. For anyone else who might be struggling to connect their Mac to a Synscan V5 handset, you need the driver for the prolific USB to Serial chipset, which you can get here:

www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=229&pcid=41

Despite having a USB output on the handset, there still is a usb to serial chip in there somewhere.

My MacBook Air can now control the mount through the handset.
5 years 1 month ago #34882

Awesome, I knew it was probably either Prolific or FTDI, but couldn't remember for sure which.
5 years 1 month ago #34883

• Thank you received: 2
Just went through this myself. Wish I would have read your post earlier. I haven't made it back out to my scope yet. Which connection did you use? EQMOD or Synscan? Thanks!
4 years 11 months ago #37212

Time to create page: 1.118 seconds