INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Autofocus area of interest

• Thank you received: 20
I'm imaging NGC3521 presently. For whatever reason the autofocus auto-star algorithm always picks the core of the galaxy as a focus point rather than the bright stars just off center. This seems like new behavior in the last few months. I seem to recall a strong bias towards the upper left of the image. Now it seems strongly biased toward the center. It's been a few months since I imaged so I'm just getting used to the recent changes....

Focus using the galaxy fails quite frequently presumably due to its fuzziness. So, I choose to manually select a star and this seems to get the job done every time. Problem is, this doesn't seem to work well with automated re-focusing as it seems to forget the star I selected. Jobs fail as a result and the rig sits idle. I tried full field focusing but its too slow and fails more often than I like.

This got me to thinking. Can a pre-determined subframe be set and "full frame" style focusing be run on that? I see you can select percentage of FOV (center, edges) for full frame, but the center is always, uh, the center, and you're still reading in the full frame and its stills slow.

It would be great to speed things up and use a subframe at a definable center point but get the benefit of multiple stars rather than just one that you manually select.
5 years 4 hours ago #37104

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
If you want to use the new full field focusing method, it has a ring-field focusing option that automatically rejects stars in the middle and at the edges.

From the last announcement:

"Ring-Field Focusing

Eric also added a new feature to the Focus module: Ring-field focusing. This method limits the area which stars are detected between an inner and an outer ring. This can be useful in images where
galaxies or nebulaes can be mistaken as stellar object which often lead to erroneous HFR reporting.

This can only be used for full-field focusing."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric
4 years 11 months ago #37111

• Thank you received: 20

Replied by Greg on topic Autofocus area of interest

Yes, I tried the ring-field approach. It was too slow for my purposes (11s download per frame for my camera). To my knowledge the focus module does not switch the camera to "focus mode" to speed things up, which is a contributor.

It would be neat to be able to do ring field in a sub frame that you can define the location and size of.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric
4 years 11 months ago #37114

Time to create page: 0.259 seconds