INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos Capture module issue

• Thank you received: 2
Hi

I am currently using Kstars/Ekos with Ubuntu 16.04 on a conventional laptop. I have updated both Indi and Kstars to the latest versions.
I use a ZWO ASI 1600mm-c as my primary camera.
I find that occasionally I get an issue with the capture module where the symptoms are that the capture is initiated and when the timer times out instead of the image being downloaded the timer resets to the initial value and again times out without downloading the image and this sequence is repeated. This can occur in the middle of an imaging session even after taking and downloading a large number of images correctly. The symptoms persist even after disconnecting and reconnecting the camera ! It just appears to get stuck in this mode. I normally set the bandwidth to the lowest speed available ie 40. This can be quite frustrating and disruptive to an imaging session !

I was wondering has anyone else experienced this and solved the issue please ?
5 years 1 week ago #37618

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:Ekos Capture module issue

Are you using guiding? Might it be that your guiding goes out of limits and your capture is suspended? A log would be helpful to allow investigation.

-Eric
5 years 6 days ago #37701

• Thank you received: 33

Replied by Brian on topic Ekos Capture module issue

You've described exactly the behavior of my ASI294MC Pro, so yes, other people have the same problem but I don't have any solution for you.
I've spent considerable time trying to figure out the problem to no avail.
I've used three different USB 3 cables
Tried different power sources: battery power-AC power through power supply, used powered hub-no powered hub.
I had been plugging the guide camera into the USB 2 hub on the ASI294 but changed to USB plug on SBC.
Used Kstars stable, Kstars nightly
Used different OS'es (all linux) on two different sbc: NanoPC-T4 and A5X Max
Played around with the settings in the ASI294MC Pro control panel.
None of these things have made any difference. The capture module will usually work okay saving 20-30 images then it stops saving images and the timer resets and loops over and over until I stop it.
Hopefully someone will have some ideas for you?

I have been just plugging the USB 3 cable from the ASI294MC Pro camera into a USB 2 port on my sbc and it works fine that way, but of course I lose the speed of usb 3.

To throw another curve into the mix, if I plug the usb 3 cable from the camera into my desktop PC USB 3 port running linux mint it works just fine.

Sorry I can't offer a solution.
5 years 5 days ago #37732

I should add I am assuming you are having trouble when your camera is plugged into a usb 3 port?
5 years 5 days ago #37734

Replied by Ian on topic Ekos Capture module issue

Thanks for your responses Eric and Brian
I havent been using guiding Eric so it does not appear to be related to that but good thought.
Looks pretty similar to your issue Brian but I am not using USB3 ! I can go through a whole imaging session with hundreds of downloads and it behaves properly . However something can trigger it into the pattern of not downloading and the only way I have discovered to reset it is to close Kstars/Ekos down and start again ! Its almost like Ekos does not trigger the download and carries on through the sequence straight away. When in this mode it does not count a valid image though so it does not actually progress through the imaging sequence and eventually aborts.
I will check next time to see if there is any evidence in the log files..........
5 years 5 days ago #37758

• Thank you received: 53
YEP - me too. using a PI as a server. (so USB2). I'm using 1600MMpro (3.0) camera. I typically plug guide cam and EFW into the 1600's hub.

YES, it can work perfect then just (I call it goes to lunch). It says downloading but doesn't. A time out happens and the exposure starts again and it's stuck in a loop.
YES - I have to do the same, kill processes and restart Kstars to get my camera back. I have not mentioned it because I assumed it was a hiccup in my WIFI.
My shots are taken in the dome. 100 yards from the house. They are sent to the PI. I then have them wifi to my desktop in the house. I assumed this image
transfer was messing up. (Wifi isn't that stable when referring to hundreds of files). I suppose a test for me would be to switch to storing subs to a local HD
on the PI's USB port. (local) rather than shooting them into the house? I've had other issues (guiding) that are taking priority so I haven't gotten into tracking
that issue down yet. I assumed it was a network transfer issue. Are you doing the same?

KStars in the house on windows. (talking wifi) to the PI in the dome on a mesh router. So the camera has to dump to PI while PI and mesh router has to send the sub to the primary router and desktop from the primary router. And yes - it never seems to recover by itself without restarting the applications.
AP Mach1 / CP4 APCC & PEMpro.
EXP SCI - ED152cf APO - Celestron 11" RASA - Stellarvue 80mm
Baader F2 HS NB filters, Lodestar X2 guide camera / OAG - ZWO 290mm mini
ZWO ASI1600MM Pro / ASI174M (solar) / ASI094MC
NEXDome, CLoudwatcher, AVX mount/ASIair and Stellarmate

5 years 5 days ago #37765

I've fixed my problem, fingers still crossed though. I've been Googling for answers and came across this thread on CN:
www.cloudynights.com/topic/546906-asi160...lots-of-hangs/page-2
Post #43 talks about not being a good idea to have too many usb devices sharing busses, especially those usb keyboard/mouse keys which cause a lot of traffic. I use one of those occasionally and when I'm inside off loading images I always use it which is why all the inside testing I've done the last few days have been failures, I was getting 30-35 images at best before the dreaded looping began. After pulling the key and using my Galaxy Tab2 tablet to control the sbc, not one hiccup. I just finished 2x100 image test runs and no problem.
Other people in this thread sound like their looping is more infrequent and irregular than I was getting so probably not a solution but maybe this will help someone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Kramer
5 years 4 days ago #37774

Hi Ron
Thanks for your response.
I have used a Pi connected over WiFi and powerline terminal kit but have always downloaded the images to a local USB stick. I found transferring it over the network to be to unreliable. I now use a Laptop running Ubuntu and KStars as my remote device instead of the Pi as I found the Pi to be a little but underpowered for reliable imaging runs ! I found that KStars would close unexpectedly for no obvious reason. The laptop is a lot better but I still download the images locally. I have experienced the missing download state with the two systems and as I download locally it cant be due to network transfer issues. The two systems use different drivers as well. I often wonder about the reliability of the ZWO 's hub as I also plug the guide camera and filter wheel into the hub and have found the guide camera has difficulty connecting to Ekos sometimes which was fixed by a direct connection to the latptop. I have an earlier version of the 1600 and there were some initial issues with downloading due to the use of too high a USB speed. I experienced this with APT and needed to lower the USB speed to the minimum setting to make it reliable. However the pro version implemented buffering to overcome this. I guess its always difficult to establish where the issue is when it involves the interface between two devices - is it hardware or software and which bit of software ! I guess it may be worth raising the problem on the ZWO forum to see if they are aware of it .
5 years 4 days ago #37775

Just read your response Brian - thanks. Im beginning to think that the ZWO hub struggles with the filter wheel, guide camera and trying to download a large image file. I guess the guide camera consumes the most bandwidth under normal operation so it might be that the bus hangs sometimes when a download is initiated at a specific part of the cycle and causes the download issue. I am now connecting my guide camera directly to my laptop so the camera will have practically all the bandwidth for download as the filter wheel only consumes bandwidth when changing the filter. As this happens when using the PI and also with a laptop it is more likely to be at the ZWO end . I think the Pi bus may be a bit flaky but the laptop internal USB bus should be fairly reliable.

I will keep it under monitor now I have made this change - hopefully the problem will go away !
5 years 4 days ago #37776

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by Ez W on topic Ekos Capture module issue

My 1600MMPro and 071MCPro both have this issue and there is no fix for me yet. I have tried plugging directly into two different computers and I get the same response. I tried removing any USB2 peripherals from the camera hubs, I tried different USB hubs, different USB cables, restarting kstars, restarting the computers, disconnecting and reconnecting cameras and different versions of kstars. No luck with any of them. When I connect either camera into ZWO's ASICAP or NINA on windows everything works fine as usual. Something in the communication between EKOS and the ASI cameras is stuck in some loop. I have not tried reinstalling kstars yet.
5 years 4 days ago #37777

• Thank you received: 53
The downloading loop hasn't been a major problem yet since I'm still in testing and setup stages and I've yet to actually try to do a acquisition of a target other than 3-4 test subs. I might see it every other nightly test. But when I try to setup and go to bed - that will be a serious issue.

I have discovered the 1600 hub to be less than ideal. (but it's so dang convenient). my other option would be a bit longer cables up to the mount where I have a powered 3.0 hub. (but it's fully loaded 7 ports presently.).

Important to add. I HAVE HAD HIS WITH SGP. (rare) but it was there. So is it a Ekos issue as suggested above? (probably not).

While the downloading loop hasn't bothered me enough during testing stages - the CRASHES have. And I never considered the two issues to be related. Though I did have one test night 4 hours or so without a single crash. But thinking back - I think that was the night I recorded and I was primarily working on guiding problems and it could be I didn't do primary camera download during guiding that night.

Again I'm not to that point yet as I'm still learning the software and trying to get the last piece of the puzzle (guiding) working to my desired specs. I did just swap out the 6" APO with a RASA which will be a bit more forgiving to guiding error levels. I know I should circumvent the ASI hub that's down the road. And I know I'm pushing the limit with subs going through the network. (ESPECIALLY with my IP camera that's quite a bandwidth hog).

It's nice to know people are trying to track down the problems!
AP Mach1 / CP4 APCC & PEMpro.
EXP SCI - ED152cf APO - Celestron 11" RASA - Stellarvue 80mm
Baader F2 HS NB filters, Lodestar X2 guide camera / OAG - ZWO 290mm mini
ZWO ASI1600MM Pro / ASI174M (solar) / ASI094MC
NEXDome, CLoudwatcher, AVX mount/ASIair and Stellarmate

5 years 4 days ago #37794

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by Ez W on topic Ekos Capture module issue

I forgot to add that I am not guiding at all with this setup. The issue is such that I can not use the program at all. It will not download even one sub. It never did it with the 1600 until the continuous loop started happening with the 071, now it is stuck this way for both cameras. Very disappointing. I had to downgrade to 2.9.8 to get the sesto senso to operate, I can't use the QHY filter wheel at all and now the cameras don't download at all. Even for platesolves or focusing.

As soon as I plug the cameras into the NUC via NINA or ASICAP or directly connect them to my Macs with ASICAP they work fine. They work fine via hubs and with filter wheel and guiders plugged into the camera USB hubs.
5 years 4 days ago #37795

Time to create page: 0.770 seconds