INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos Capture module issue

• Thank you received: 53

Hmmmm since you seem to have it repeating like clockwork. I wonder what would happen if you put a delay between sub captures. It would be interesting to see a 5 - 10 second delay between subs... and then keep track if how many 30-35? subs before it happens.
Or would the delay allow more subs to be acquired before it happens? 50-60? And easy test (though a lot of wasted time ;-)
AP Mach1 / CP4 APCC & PEMpro.
EXP SCI - ED152cf APO - Celestron 11" RASA - Stellarvue 80mm
Baader F2 HS NB filters, Lodestar X2 guide camera / OAG - ZWO 290mm mini
ZWO ASI1600MM Pro / ASI174M (solar) / ASI094MC
NEXDome, CLoudwatcher, AVX mount/ASIair and Stellarmate

4 years 11 months ago #37796

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic Ekos Capture module issue

I think with this issue you should be looking at your rpi power supply, it needs at least a 3 amp supply of you are plugging kit direct into the pi, infact I would say min 3 amp anyway.... :)
4 years 11 months ago #37837

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Ian on topic Ekos Capture module issue

Unfortunately it also happens when using a laptop directly connected !
4 years 11 months ago #37840

• Thank you received: 0
Did anyone find a solution to this? I’m having the same problem on the MacOS build for version 3.5 when using a ZWO183MC.

This seems to be the list of possible causes that I’ve gathered from this thread:
1. Possible USB power issue - I’m using a powered USB hub, but it persists.
2. Possible bandwidth issue when autoguiding and imaging at the same time - This issue happens to me whether or not I am autoguiding, and whether or not I am using remote INDI server or local (direct connection).
3. Possible issue where the host computer has insufficient CPU resources - This issue happens whether I’m running Kstars on my RPI or running it from a Core-i7 laptop.

This still doesn’t seem to be solved. It also appears to be cross-platform and pervasive across multiple versions of Kstars from 2.9 all the way to 3.5. Any other suggestions on a possible fix?
Mount: Skywatcher EQM-35 Pro
Main Imager: ZWO 183MC Uncooled
Guider1: SSAG (Retired)
Guider2: ZWO 120mm mini
Telescope: Celestron 6” SCT with Hyperstar
3 years 3 months ago #64546

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Ian on topic Ekos Capture module issue

Hi

This was the most frustrating imaging problem I had ever come across ! One thing you require from an imaging set up is reliability but you never knew when this problem would raise its head and destroy an automated session !

The issue went away in my rig when I started using the RPI4 4 GB version. I suspect the cause of it is to do with the combination of the specific USB bus architecture which the particular platform utilises and the protocol that ZWO uses to effect a data transfer to the host. The RPI4 is far superior to its predecessors both in terms of memory, processing power and bus architecture. I believe the usb bus is more dedicated and not shared with other resources like the network and operates at usb 3 speeds which immediately makes it more compatible with my ASI 1600mm-c which was the unbuffered version ! I am using the hub provided by the camera which also hosts the guiding and Atik filter wheel and I do not get this problem now.

I have a feeling that if the usb bus is more of a shared resource, then depending on how device priority is assigned on the bus, the data transfer protocol when downloading an image (which I guess needs high priority at the time of transfer) becomes unreliable due to bus contention issues. All this is dependent on the particular hardware platform architecture and hence the problem is not solely due to a single bit of software or hardware but is system dependant - which helps explains its multiplatform nature.

I hope that helps !
3 years 3 months ago #64556

Time to create page: 0.583 seconds