INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Scheduler not starting

• Thank you received: 18
After upgrading to version 3.1.1 for Mac (from 3.0), the scheduler does not seem to start. In the bottom right of the panel it says 'No jobs running' with the spinning sign behind it, suggesting that something is going on. However, no sequence is loaded in the capture module, no slewing to target happens, etc. Anyone any idea what I might be doing wrong here, or what could be going on? All jobs are scheduled to start ASAP, but even forcing it to start at a certain time did not work.
Attached a log-file that may be helpful. It reads somewhere 'Ekos communication status is 0, starting Ekos'. Could that point to the issue?

File Attachment:

File Name: log_23-52-48.txt
File Size:142 KB
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
4 years 11 months ago #37744
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 66

Replied by Greg on topic Scheduler not starting

Yes, I was just trying the scheduler (3.1.1 for Mac) for the first time ever and had the same results as you.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Greg.
4 years 11 months ago #37780

• Thank you received: 139
I'm also having the same problem. I have a one shot color camera, I set up a sequence with 5 60s subs, set to run indefinitely and the scheduler just sits there and does nothing. I also tried 600 60s subs for the sequence, and the scheduler notified me it would need to stop the job and restart it the next evening, but it still would not start.
4 years 11 months ago #37781

• Thank you received: 809
So the scheduler relies on DBUS in order to function. When we switched to using craft instead of homebrew for building kstars for Mac , we used the craft recipe for building dbus. About 2 weeks ago I found out this was a problem with a similar bug report to yours because apparently the dbus built by craft did not start properly. So I worked on a new recipe for DBUS. It worked. I just built a new dmg for KStars 3.2.0 which contains the new working DBUS. Please try this today to see if it fixes the issue.

Thanks,

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Greg, Craig
4 years 11 months ago #37782

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Scheduler not starting

You can test it with the updated release of KStars 3.2 DMG
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greg
4 years 11 months ago #37784

• Thank you received: 420
I tried the link from the indilib website -> Download -> Mac OSX

www.indilib.org/download/osx/send/4-mac-osx/12-kstars.html

which leads to KStars 3.1.0 and the one from the KDE website

edu.kde.org/kstars/

which leads to KStars 3.1.1. However, when I manually modify the download link from

www.indilib.org/jdownloads/kstars/kstars-3.1.1.dmg

to

www.indilib.org/jdownloads/kstars/kstars-3.2.0.dmg

a download starts. Is this the one you mean?
4 years 11 months ago #37785

Just tried version 3.2.0 with the simulators, and it is working now!
Thank you so much Rob and Jasem, for resolving this so quickly!
4 years 11 months ago #37786

Additionally, I was having an issue with the automated meridian flip using only the sequencer. Normally in previous versions, without the scheduler, I could set up a long sequence, and EKOS would perform a meridian flip. Two nights in a row, the meridian flip did not occur, and I had to force a goto to perform the flip. Is this related to the above scheduler issues or another issue altogether?
4 years 11 months ago #37792

It would be related only if the meridian flip relies on dbus in order to perform something related to the flip operation. I can't check right now to see if this is the case, but it could be. I would say try it and see.
4 years 11 months ago #37806

So, I've got the setup out tonight, and it's not quite working. Scheduler starts now, but doesn't perform any actions. It immediately starts capturing. It doesn't track, focus, align or guide. It doesn't matter where it's pointed. You hit the play button after picking a target and adding a sequence, and it just starts capturing right where it is.
4 years 11 months ago #37823

I don’t have any experience with the scheduler myself. I haven’t used it because I typically set up in the field and set up my run right there. I do know they were working hard on updating it. Recently I have just been focused on Mac specific issues, particularly build ones. If DBUS is working now, then this is something else.

A really easy way to tell if DBUS works would be to go into the kstars script editor, select to add the “zoom in” function and then hit the play button. If it zooms in, then DBUS is working. Can you please make sure it is? Based on what you said so far, I suspect that it is working, but you might double check.

In terms of the scheduler, Jasem or Eric can probably help you more now. If they find a bug and fix it, then I can make another dmg. Do note that they did make a lot of changes, maybe something has changed in the settings or how you are supposed to set it up?

Thanks,

Rob
4 years 11 months ago #37827

I have only tested with the simulators, but it slewed to the object and only then started to take pictures (I don’t use the guiding etc. options).
Did you see the scheduler pick up the coordinates of your target? I have found in the past that it is important to search for the target through the built in search function. Only then it adjust coordinates and speed to the object. Simply typing in the name of the target did not work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4 years 11 months ago #37828

Time to create page: 1.259 seconds