INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Capturing images with big sensors and Raspberry

• Thank you received: 0
hello, I use an EOS450D and an ASI120 on a rapberry Pi3 + no problem with the capture and display of the image.

When I use my EOS 5DMKII or ASI1600 with the maximum resolution ... I request a capture (on the disk or memory card) but impossible to view it.
With Ekos, I have a message:
"Check Failed Check INDI Control Panel For details"
EKOS remains stuck: Status: Capturing.
In INDI I have the message: Can not convert / tmp / indi_wjL9ym: Unsufficient memory
and
: Exposure failed to parse raw image.

If I down on the UPS at 2X2 it works
If I go down on EOS 5D Small Normal JPEG it works.

Does anyone have experience with EKOS, Raspberry and "important" sensors? A solution? Pass on an ASUS Tinker Board?

Thank you and good evening.
4 years 10 months ago #38919

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 16
Hi Navy,
One possibility is that you may be pushing the limits of RAM memory (1GB on a RPI3). Have you installed the ZRAM package? If not it is in the RPI3 UBUNTU Mate repositories if you are running Mate. This extends available ram by using ram compression and setting up a SWAP file in some of the extended RAM. I have been using it successfully with my system for over 2 .5 years and there are many others on the forum here that use it as well (do a forum search for zram and you will find some helpful information).

Also make sure you are running in limited resource mode in the KStars settings. I believe the more recent builds of KStars automatically sets that mode as default if it is running on an ARM CPU based system, which the Raspberry PI3 family is. So give these a go and see how it works.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Navy
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Midwest Astronomer.
4 years 10 months ago #38925

• Thank you received: 0
Hello LINUXUSER !!
zRam has solved my problem. You are fantastic !! thank you .

I did not find the "limited resource mode in the KStars settings" ... can you tell me more?
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Navy.
4 years 10 months ago #38940

• Thank you received: 16
Navy,
It is always good to hear when a suggestion works and a problem is solved. You are very welcome!

The "Limited Resource Mode" can be found as follows - From the "Settings" menu go down near the bottom to"Configure KStars" and you will then see the window as included below:

From the left panel choose "FITS", then under the "Processing" section choose the check box just to the left of "Limited Resource Mode". This will turn off the "Auto Debayer", "Auto WCS", and "3D Cube" settings thereby saving memory and processing resources. This might already be set on your Raspberry PI3+. Once it is selected then on the lower right of the window choose "Apply" and "OK" and you will be all set. Now, let's hope on your next night out you will be able to grab some good data and revel in the final image. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Navy
4 years 10 months ago #38948
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds