INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How do I get ekos/indi to launch and start listening for remote connection?

• Thank you received: 8
I have ekos/indi on my Ubuntu 18.04 LTS system. When I start kstars/ekos and then press the play button to start INDI, my remote computer (windows 10) can connect just fine. However if something goes wrong or the remote computer crashes I don't know how to get everything to re-start up again so a remote computer can connect.

Obvious work around is teamviewer but that is resource hogging and with this fanless PC I'd rather not have anything running that I don't need to have running.

I can't figure out how to start the webserver on a local setup. The remote PC has a webserver button but not the local one? I was thinking that it would start a web server automatically when you launched kstars but that doesn't seem to be the case. If it were I could just add kstars to the auto-start options for ubuntu.

What do I need to do? I search through the youtube tutorial videos and can't find any that mention how to set it up.
4 years 10 months ago #39323

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 31
You need to install indiwebmanager on your Ubuntu. It's a small web server listening on port 8624 that will launch the indi server for you on demand (when you connect through kstars). First you need to install pip then indiwebmanager.

You have everything explained at the bottom of the github page of indiwebmanager ( github.com/knro/indiwebmanager ).
How to start automatically indiwebmanager is also explained. Don't forget to open the 8624 port (for accessing the indiwebmanager) and the 7624 port (for the indiserver) on your Ubuntu once you're done.

In case something goes wrong, you connect to the indiwebmanager with your browser (http://your_indiwebmanager_address:8624/) and you reset the indi server.

-- Marc
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Marc.
4 years 10 months ago #39325

• Thank you received: 160
Another possibility is to ssh into your remote computer and start the server like this:

indiserver driver1 driver2 driver3...

For example I do run

indiserver indi_lx200fs2 indi_canon_ccd indi_asi_ccd indi_robo_focus
4 years 10 months ago #39326

• Thank you received: 31
Herrhausen,
ssh under Windows ? yes but it is more complicated. You need to install Putty and set it up which can be tricky if you want to access your server with a RSA key. Plus, if mpfjr does as you say, he needs to keep the ssh link up all the session. indiserver being a child process of ssh, if you cut the link, it will also kill the indiserver process :)
Try :
/usr/bin/indiserver -v -m 100 -p 7624 indi_simulator_telescope indi_simulator_ccd >> /var/log/indiserver.log 2>&1 &
At least, your indiserver will survive a down link and you'll have a log file ... Replace with your own drivers of course.

-- Marc
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Marc.
4 years 10 months ago #39333

• Thank you received: 160

I suspect this is evidence of the fact that I never got into Windows. Transitioned form Amiga to Linux right away. Are you serious, there's no "onboard" secure shell in Windows? LOL! In this case use telnet or whatever Windows offers to remotely log into another computer.

Yes, Ctrl-C kills the server, arrow-up Return restarts it. As easy as it gets IMO. Very old school, indeed.

Thanks a lot, Mark! I'll add this to the executables that I keep in my remote directory to quick-start several indiserver configurations.
4 years 10 months ago #39338

• Thank you received: 0
If I had the means to I'd be installing a fan on my StellarMate as hot as it gets it really should have one built in from the factory. I installed a fan on my raspberry pi and was able to cool the pi to -30 degrees ambient. If that is some of what you are talking about?
4 years 10 months ago #39342

• Thank you received: 8
Thanks! Having the webmanager service running solved my immediate concerns.

The command line for the terminal only works as long as I don't close the terminal.
Also adding the command to /etc/rc.local before the 0 exit works for 2 out of three drivers. For some reason the asi driver doesn't load if I enter it there. Mount and focuser load no problem though.

But the webmanager allows me to have indiserver load on startup and I can connect remotely with ekos/kstars and continue forward with my testing.

Thanks!
4 years 10 months ago #39474

Time to create page: 0.446 seconds