INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos on Mac OS X ?

• Thank you received: 812

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Why don't we just use the command git clone git://anongit.kde.org/craft.git?
7 years 4 months ago #12561
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 23

Replied by Jamie Smith on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Something is broken in each angle that I tried. There are three options here, from three different repos:
git clone --branch unix3 github.com/KDE/emerge
- this is a mirror of what we have been doing
git clone --branch unix3 git://anongit.kde.org/craft.git
- this is the renamed repo, but still using the unix3 branch
git clone git://anongit.kde.org/craft.git
- this is the master of the renamed repo

Note- I don't know why we started with the unix3 branch - that was the case before I got involved.

So I tried three options - and had to figure out in each case which to use
When using the git clone --branch unix3 github.com/KDE/emerge - the one that worked yesterday-
after sourcing the . emerge/kdeenv.sh :
looking for emerge
/Users/jamie/IndiRoot/kstars-emerge/emerge/bin/emerge
looking for craft
craft not found

But something fails in the build :
/Users/jamie/IndiRoot/kstars-emerge/download/git/kinit/src/klauncher/klauncher.cpp:562:12: error: member reference type 'QProcess *' is a pointer; did you mean to use '->'?
    process.setEnvironment(environment);
    ~~~~~~~^
           ->
/Users/jamie/IndiRoot/kstars-emerge/download/git/kinit/src/klauncher/klauncher.cpp:562:28: error: no viable conversion from 'QProcessEnvironment' to 'const QStringList'
                           ^~~~~~~~~~~
(...)
10 warnings and 2 errors generated.
(...)
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
emerge warning: while running make cmd: ninja 
emerge warning: Action: compile for frameworks/tier3/kinit FAILED
*** Emerge all failed: all of frameworks/kinit failed after 0:00:12 ***
emerge error: fatal error: package frameworks/kinit all failed

When I try the two flavor craft flavors:
git clone --branch unix3 git://anongit.kde.org/craft.git

it is still out of date (output is from my script):
emerge not found
craft not found

Could not find an emerge or craft option

while git clone git://anongit.kde.org/craft.git is just out-of-whack:
emerge not found
Found craft
/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.5.2_3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python: can't open file '/bin/craft.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
which stems from the craft script:
#!/usr/bin/env bash
python3.5 $crafteRoot/bin/craft.py $@

and the problem isn't just that the craftRoot is spelled wrong. I patched the spelling, but the variable isn't getting pushed down to the craft process.
in my script I added export craftRoot and that seemed to get it moving along (again, after I patched it) I get the same error as for the unix3 branch on the mirror:
/Users/jamie/IndiRoot/kstars-emerge/download/git/kinit/src/klauncher/klauncher.cpp:562:12: error: member reference type 'QProcess *' is a pointer; did you mean to use '->'?
    ~~~~~~~^
           ->
/Users/jamie/IndiRoot/kstars-emerge/download/git/kinit/src/klauncher/klauncher.cpp:562:28: error: no viable conversion from 'QProcessEnvironment' to 'const QStringList'
                           ^~~~~~~~~~~

Since I figured out that the problem with the craft not working is because the variable isn't exported correctly, I just went ahead and exported it with both the right and wrong spelling (so when they fix the script I don't have to change).

Can someone that has contact with Jasem let him know about the compile errors, along with the typo in craft, and the fact that variables don't seem to be getting exported correctly by the CraftSetupHelper.py script? My guess is that the block isn't handling things quite right:
  if [[ "$line"  =~ "=" ]];then
    export $line
  fi
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Jamie Smith.
7 years 4 months ago #12564

I guess that's what happens when we rely on other sources for our code. How many different sources for code /people does our method rely on? The git website, emerge/craft, indilib, brew, haraldkf, and kstars at least. Part of the point is keeping everything up to date, but I guess that also means sometimes it won't work when websites go down, repositories change names, or somebody makes a coding error.

The good news is that our plan is to make a dmg that would be pre-built and hosted on a website. So even if these things have problems, it won't affect the version that folks need to download. The issues will only affect our development copies.
7 years 4 months ago #12571

I just got home. I'm speaking with Jasem about it right now. He doesn't have control over craft. And he also said that they make another change in kde that broke download new data. But he said they plan to fix it.
7 years 4 months ago #12572

It looks like we got that cmake version of the script working just in time!! Hopefully they fix the problems so we can make the emerge/craft version of the script work again.
7 years 4 months ago #12573

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

I informed the developer responsible for Craft/Emerge (Hannah Von Heth) and hopefully she will be able to address your issues shortly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob Lancaster, Jamie Smith
7 years 4 months ago #12574
  • Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

You're right about everything there, and I think the sooner we can get a "stable" working dmg the better it is.
7 years 4 months ago #12575

Thanks -
What is the "right" way for us to do that in the future? Do they use an associated ticket system?
7 years 4 months ago #12576

I believe they do, but I haven't tested it yet since most of my issues with KStars have been with KStars and OS X, not with KDE in general.

While we are waiting for that, if you want to tackle a different problem, we need to make sure that the laptop doesn't go to sleep or KStars go into "app nap" mode during an imaging session. (This happened to me on my new computer one time on Friday.). On my old computer, it never did that, but my new computer did.

I can see several things we might try to do. Install an app like Amphetamine or Caffeine. Try to set a longer time until display sleep (this might not affect app nap I don't know). Run a terminal command. Set a key in the plist. Thoughts?
7 years 4 months ago #12577

Jasem says that "TheOneRing (Hannah von Reth) fixed the typo and killed the unix3 branch. I'll talk to the sysadmins to kill the emerge mirror"

So I think it should work now, crafteroot is now craftroot and we should use: git clone git://anongit.kde.org/craft.git.

community.kde.org/Guidelines_and_HOWTOs/Build_from_source/Mac
7 years 4 months ago #12586

I just tried Jamie's script for emerge/craft. Nice work Jamie, it all worked great until it got to the part where you reported the error in building klauncher. To me that looks like 2 coding mistakes in the klauncher code. Hopefully they fix it soon.

One minor note: in doing the emerge/craft install, it ran this: installPatchedKf5Stuff. But that is only really needed for the cmake version since emerge/craft builds all of the kf5 stuff itself. I think it should only run if you have selected the cmake version. What do you think?
7 years 4 months ago #12608

Seems reasonable, done
7 years 4 months ago #12609
Time to create page: 1.791 seconds