Yes, this worked much better than over the summer. Once we figure out all the issues, I am sure it can be easily streamlined. First, most of the commands that I listed can be just copied and pasted into the Terminal in bulk which helps. Second, I think the gist from Sean Houghton that i used was intended to be in a script, but I had some issues and had to run it piecemeal. Third, some of the things i had to do separately could be done together in an installer. And Fourth, maybe some of the things I had to install could be encapsulated within the program bundle instead.
Once all of the issues are worked out, I think the optimal situation would be to have it all on an OS X disk image file (dmg) that you mount and then either run an installer or copy and paste the program from there to the Applications folder or somewhere else. That's how mac programs are often distributed if they don't come from the App store
But first, there are still a couple of nagging issues. I worked for a few more hours last night on the icons with no luck. Some of the icons are working but others are not. I thought it had something to do with either the folder where the icons were stored or how they were being loaded. But I tried the ones that were not showing up in place of the ones that were properly showing up and they showed up, so the icons seem to be in the right place and have the right paths. I noticed that most of the ones that were not showing up, like the ones in the menu at the top of the main screen, were accessed like this: QIcon::fromTheme("document-save") but the ones that were showing up properly like in the Ekos Manager window, were accessed like this: QIcon(":/icons/filesave"). I noticed before that the icon themes were not installed so I tried installing hicolor, oxygen, and breeze icon themes but that did not seem to help. I tried changing from the theme method to the filepath method of accessing the icons, but that did not help either. So I will continue to look at it. If you have any ideas, I would appreciate it.
That looks great, it would indeed be nice to have that as a dmg!
When installing Kstars in Ubuntu Mate or Gnome, I am missing the exact same icons like in your second screenshot until I install the oxygen icon theme manually, however it seems you have tried that already.
Yes, this past summer, those same icons vanished when I was trying to install on another type of system as well. On that system I had tried to install the Oxygen Icons but it would not install, so I didn't have those icons on that system.
Ok yes, I think I encountered this too. Sorry, I had tried quite a few things before I finally got this working, so I wouldn't be surprised if I forgot I did something. I just looked through my Terminal history and I found the following:
brew unlink cfitsio
brew link libcfitsio
Which tells me i must have installed libscfitsio and the cfitsio must not have been good enough to make it work just as you encountered. I assume before you run the above lines, you would need to do this:
brew install libcfitsio
but I don't see that in my history so I may have done it previously. Hopefully this helps!!
Another thing I should have mentioned is that there are a bunch of data files that KStars will need to access. They are in the kstars git that you downloaded. You need to copy them to this Directory I believe: ~/Library/Application Support/kstars
So I mentioned before that I only ran the simulators "remotely" using the cloud makers indi server program. But just now I got the simulators working locally. I had to make sure that all the xml files for the drivers were in /usr/share/indi and that in the preferences the indiserver and driver folders are entered correctly. That fixed it for me. Next I plan to test running Ekos on my mac controlling my system remotely using the raspberry pi. I might also try to do it locally by plugging them directly into my laptop but I'm not sure that will work too well. I think I will probably have more luck with running the cloud makers indi server program on my mac and connecting to it "remotely."
Adam, if my solution above does not work to help you build libindi with cfitsio since it is out of date, this is the info that I followed that is located in the git with instructions for building on OS X. you can copy all four of these to the same level as your indi source code folder.
To use it, you need the following folders on the same level as indi-code:
I just got done testing Ekos on OS X with real devices. The test with the Raspberry Pi serving up indi devices and using the OS X kstars to control it worked flawlessly. For connecting the devices locally, I had some problems because apparently I had not built the 3rd party drivers, so it didn't work with all of my equipment. It took me a few minutes to get the drivers I needed in the correct directories, but then it worked.
I had a couple of problems. First, it needed both of the regions files in a subfolder called bin inside the final gsc folder. Second, I had to copy all the folders that began with N and S to the final gsc folder (but NOT in the bin subfolder). Third, I had trouble getting the environment variable permanent, so I made the gsc folder /gsc instead of ~/gsc and this worked just fine.