INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos on Mac OS X ?

• Thank you received: 812

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

In the past month I have made a bunch of contributions to KStars code that is being released very very shortly in Version 2.7 which should make it work much better on OS X. I added trackpad support, fixed the windows going to the back behind the main window, fixed the icons problems, and fixed the Download New Data. . . window not working problem. I wrote up a part of a blog post that Jasem is going to post soon when he releases version 2.7 which should explain all the stuff that I did to make it work on OS X. There are still some bugs most likely, but most of the bugs have gone away.

No installer yet. . .but it is improving. The emerge tool has shown some promise. I successfully used it to compile a working KStars on OS X and the Instructions for this would be much shorter that the other instructions I wrote before.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jamie Smith
7 years 5 months ago #11076
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 23

Replied by Jamie Smith on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Is there a recent set of build instructions somewhere? I would love to get this native on OS X rather than run a linux vm
7 years 5 months ago #11077

Yes absolutely. I got it working a little more than a month ago and posted all of the instructions in this forum. Based on feedback we posted one revision already in this forum as well. Just go back a few posts. I might have a new set of instructions using emerge soon, but for now, the old ones will work just fine.
7 years 5 months ago #11079

I will give it a go, thanks. I found them on indilib.org/forum/ekos/525-ekos-on-mac-os-x.html?start=72#10553
7 years 5 months ago #11085

yes, exactly. I don't believe you will need to patch the qt install anymore, so that can be skipped most likely. We added that when there was a problem, but I think it can be removed now. Also, you might have a little trouble building libindi. Getting everything in the right places before executing the commands is crucial or it cannot find it. If push comes to shove, just use the cloudmaker's free indiserver software. The rest of the install is pretty straightforward for KStars, but at the end there are couple of options if you want an app bundle or if you want it to run from the command line. And then you can choose if you want to install gsc, astrometry.net, and/or xplanet. I have them all working on mine. I would definitely recommend astrometry.net. The other two depend on what you want to use kstars for I think.

Once you get it all installed, the one issue you might run into is that the environment variables for the "get new stuff" downloader and the image downloader are not set right. I just solved this problem 2 days ago and haven't yet gotten it in the code to set them automatically. It isn't that crucial and can be fixed later.

Please let me know how it goes, I want to revise the instructions if there is anything you notice that isn't clear or if you have any ideas on how to improve it. And an installer and/or a dmg is coming, once I or somebody else figures out all of the details.
7 years 5 months ago #11086
  • Thank you received: 9

Replied by Adam on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Hi,
I have good news for macos 10.12: It was just my own stupidity that prevented INDI from building :pinch:
The solution for the issue was to install libnova from Peter's homebrew repo and libusb using homebrew (which I did but forgot about on macos 10.11):

brew install libusb
brew tap polakovic/astronomy
brew install polakovic/astronomy/libnova

Homebrew produces some warnings because Peter's repo seems to be outdated but libnova installs fine and INDI is then finally able to find all the dependencies :)
7 years 5 months ago #11090

Following the instructions, things looked good until I got to the
brew install haraldf/kf5/kf5-knewstuff
step.
which resulted in :
Error: You must `brew link kf5-kcoreaddons` before haraldf/kf5/kf5-knewstuff can be installed
which is already set on my system, which is a link pointing to
/usr/local/share/mime/XMLnamespaces

Hopefully forcing it was the right thing to do :unsure:
7 years 5 months ago #11091
  • Thank you received: 9

Replied by Adam on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Hi Jamie,
I had something similar and forced it too, I have not seen any negative consequences so far.
I also want to add that I may have found a better way of installing instead of installing to /usr/local as this requires sudo for 'make install'. Using -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local/Cellar/libindi/1.2.0 and -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local/Cellar/kstars/2.7 (as suggested in the homebrew FAQ) does not require sudo. After 'make' and 'make install' for INDI and KStars you have to do 'brew link libindi' (before building kstars) and 'brew link kstars'.
7 years 5 months ago #11092

Awesome, all this stuff is very useful. I can't find things like that out because I have so many things installed now those errors will no longer show up on mine.
7 years 5 months ago #11095

What does your dir hierarchy look like? I think that I am missing something.

I did the home-brew stuff, cloned the repo and did the curls, so I now have an IndiLib dir which I have downloaded and cloned to, which has:
build/                  <-- the one I made to build
cfitsio/
cfitsio3380.tar.gz
gsl-2.1/
gsl-2.1.tar.gz
indi/                   <-- the one that is from git
libnova-0.15.0/
libnova-0.15.0.tar.gz
libusb-1.0.19.tgz
libusb-1.0.20/

where do I untar the archives? I untarred them where they sat, which sounded right - but got a
libnova not found.  Please install libnova development package

Any ideas? Thanks! (NOTE- same error if I put them under
indi/
or
indi/libindi/
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Jamie Smith.
7 years 5 months ago #11099

check my screenshot in the pdf. I had trouble with that too until I got the directories in the right spots. I tried to take a screenshot when it worked.
7 years 5 months ago #11100

I was trying to go off of that - it looks like you have the files untarred a level above the indi (indi-latest) . You have a couple of other things out there that I don't have (presumably because you have built more things).

Or am I supposed to build those first?
7 years 5 months ago #11104
Attachments:
Time to create page: 0.701 seconds