INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos on Mac OS X ?

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by Sean Houghton on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Really great progress with all of the OSX support. My laptop died last month and by the time UPS drops of my shiny new MBP (which can actually build Qt in less than a century) I won't have anything left to help with!

In the meantime I've added an OSX TravisCI configuration so any changes to the indi codebase are now verified to compile on OSX.

I spent some time trying to get a TravisCI configuration working for kstars, but the homebrew install of Qt causes timeouts, even when I use the "travis_wait" workaround. Another option would be to bundle up pre-compiled Qt binaries with dbus support and download them instead of using homebrew. Unfortunately, homebrew's dependency system makes this difficult. You can see my attempts here travis-ci.org/seanhoughton/kstars
7 years 4 months ago #12016
Attachments:
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 23

Replied by Jamie Smith on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

There is a build step, too. Rather than try to talk about it, I wrote a recipe - try this:
brew install jamiesmith/astronomy/gsc

EDIT - For some stupid reason you might have to run that twice.

then you should be able to run:
GSCDAT=$(brew --prefix gsc) gsc -c 111+1
and it should return something (rather than an error)

So - that being said - now we know where gsc is. We need GSCDAT set to /usr/local/opt/gsc, and the gsc bin would be in /usr/local/opt/gsc/bin/gsc

That is assuming that I actually did that right. I did NOT change any of the other stuff from that fork of Peter's repo- not sure how to handle that yet.

If this pattern works, I will try the other one too. Let me know what you think
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Jamie Smith.
7 years 4 months ago #12019
  • Thank you received: 23

Replied by Jamie Smith on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

I started looking at the astrometry-net stuff -
the default brew formula generates a config file that has:
cpulimit 300
add_path /usr/local/Cellar/astrometry-net/0.67_2/data
autoindex

but, at least in my case, that data dir is empty - should it also download data? Where does it get that data? Or is this only allowing online solving?

Basically, what I am asking about this one - is there really anything we need to do?
7 years 4 months ago #12023
  • Thank you received: 809

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Ok I just massively revised the code that runs if no Data directory is found on OS X. It will check if there is a data directory first, then ask if you want to create one, then if you do, it will copy the default data directory from the bundled version (assuming one is actually in the bundle, if not, it quits with an error message). Then it will ask if you want to configure astrometry and if you do, it creates a folder at the right spot in ~/Library/Application Support/Astrometry. Finally it edits the bundled config file to point to that location properly with the full path.

Jasem should be able to post my changes tomorrow and then you guys can fully vet it.
7 years 4 months ago #12026

If you check the thread history, our current plan is to create a dmg file that contains an App. The user would simply have to download the dmg, mount it, and drag that file to their computer. Then launch KStars and everything should work including indiserver, astrometry, gsc, and xplanet.

The plan is to not need to use home-brew or have the user need to compile anything.
7 years 4 months ago #12027

Also did you get to see Jamie's script that will fully install everything on your computer and generate the app at the end with everything bundled up and ready to go? Stephane has been working on getting qt and other dynamic libraries to be built into the app so that it will work on anybody's computer.
7 years 4 months ago #12028

I think there is no need for that. My code will now create an empty folder in the user's library for Astrometry. I notified them on first Launch that the folder is there and they should put some index files in there. So now, they need to do that. It might be good in the future to have more astrometry support with a downloader for index files, but for now that functionality is not in KStars. So I think we are done with that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jamie Smith
7 years 4 months ago #12029
  • Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

blink and there is so much progress :woohoo: ... I like it.
Sorry I've been busy on my new observatory this week-end, didn't get a chance to give that libusb path issue a bash.

Yes, to re-itterate the ultimate goal is the creation of a dmg file, we do not want any end-users to have to do anything else than as already put it:
The user would simply have to download the dmg, mount it, and drag that file to their computer. Then launch KStars and everything should work including indiserver, astrometry, gsc, and xplanet.

All we do at the moment is to get to this dmg goal (and fix/add code/features as we go along).
I do believe once we got a working version, Jamie's script will help creating the dmg automatically, great script to automatically release any future updates.
7 years 4 months ago #12030

Now, that being said, I don't know that much about Travis CI, could it run something like Jamie's building script on a server and produce a dmg with an app inside?? If so, then that is awesome.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Rob Lancaster.
7 years 4 months ago #12031

I should have also mentioned that I too am awaiting a shiny new macbook pro. I know how you feel I have needed one for around half a year now. My current macbook pro is now 8 years old, and the trackpad has become temperamental due to too much clicking, the wifi and bluetooth stopped working because of damage from an impact (or several), and did I mention it is 8 years old?! That said, the computer still works pretty well in spite of all I have thrown at it, I am looking forward to around a decade of use out of my new one too.
7 years 4 months ago #12033
  • Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Here's something I did not know (probably because I don't read the docs... lol):
stackoverflow.com/questions/36014782/mac...t-and-use-debug-libs
doc.qt.io/qt-5/osx-deployment.html

"-use-debug-libs Deploy with debug versions of frameworks and plugins (implies -no-strip)"

I shall try this tonight.
7 years 4 months ago #12044

This code is now ready to go, Jasem pushed it this morning. So now if you have a fresh computer with no data directory and you are starting a KStars app which you just dragged from the dmg, it should get you all set up from what is in the app bundle. I made it an interactive process with dialog boxes. The only thing the user would need to do to finish it off is put gsc in their data directory and put the appropriate astrometry index files in the astrometry folder.

Please test the dialog boxes and make sure the process makes sense. To test it you can rename your data directory and rename your astrometry folder in ~/Library/Application Support so that it is forced to create new ones. (This way if you already have useful data in those folders like I do, you don't have to delete them to run the test)
7 years 4 months ago #12045
Time to create page: 2.235 seconds