INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos on Mac OS X ?

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Jimbo S Harris on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

First, let me thank Jamie and Gonzo and all the other contributors who have been chasing this issue really hard for the past few weeks. I haven't been able to follow every single bit of it, but you've been doing a yeoman's effort, and I, for one, am excited to try out kstars on my Mac, and grateful that INDI has such a dedicated community!

All that having been said, I tried this DMG on my (fully clean, never tried building any of this on this Mac) i7 MBP running 10.11.6, and the DMG won't install, because it requires 10.12. Is this expected?

I know that it's been asked before, and the answer was "read the thread", but if there are a set of instructions that one could follow to compile the code / create the DMG, I'd like to try it.

... or should I wait for a "public" DMG to be released, at this point?
7 years 4 months ago #12286
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

can you run a brew update ?
7 years 4 months ago #12287

Thank you for the kind words, let's also get a big mention to Rob (rlancaste) for his dev work in the background and testing Jamie's script too.

I think you raise a valid point which we have no covered yet.
"running 10.11.6, and the DMG won't install, because it requires 10.12. Is this expected?"

I do know you can set some variables in the dmg file or app itself for system requirements, we should and are going to look into this one.
To be honest, I would wait until we release the public dmg file as we still have lots of work to do.
By all mean, if you want to install the all dev stuff on your laptop...., you need to know that unless you have a second Mac testing will be a little bit skewed.
7 years 4 months ago #12288

ok, but why am I getting the crash, after I ran your updated script?
As in, your dmg that was created before mine is fine, this is odd. We need to find out what's different.
7 years 4 months ago #12289

Jamie, could you please take some screenshots of your main settings within Kstars ? I just want to make sure mine is setup as yours.
7 years 4 months ago #12290
  • Thank you received: 809

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Actually you should be able to make it work in spite of what it said. Try dragging the app from the dmg to the desktop, then right click on it to "show package contents." Inside you can navigate to "Contents/MacOS" and you should see a binary file called "KStars" in there. That is the actual program inside the app bundle. if you open terminal and drag that binary directly on top of the terminal window, it will type the path to the kstars binary in the terminal. Hit enter, it will start KStars. As a bonus, it will show you all sorts of information about the running application in the terminal window.

There is nothing that should actually prevent the app from running on El Capitan, except for the fact that it was built on Sierra. I got it to run on my wife's laptop this way. That being said, there are still some issues with getting the indiserver working in the app. But the app that you downloaded should run on your computer, and you can do most of the things kstars can do! Play around with it and report any issues! Have fun!
7 years 4 months ago #12293

Thank you very much Stephane! We definitely should look into how to flag the app so that it can run in versions of OS X other than just Sierra. But I would try to make sure it actually will run on the OS we say that it will run on first ;)
7 years 4 months ago #12294

I shall look into how to flag the app, which OS X version do we want to aim for as a minimum?
I'm not fussed, but I only have Sierra at home so I won't be able to test on anything lower than Sierra.
7 years 4 months ago #12295

looks like we need to have something like the following in ./configure :
-mmacosx-version-min=

I don't know exactly where you need to declare it, googling for it shows many answers.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Gonzothegreat.
7 years 4 months ago #12296
  • Thank you received: 23

Replied by Jamie Smith on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

I will see if I can try this tomorrow-
it looks like it is something like

-DCMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT=macosx -DCMAKE_OSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.11

when I do the cmake

EDIT-

oh- even if that is right, I have no idea how to do that with the emerge.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Jamie Smith.
7 years 4 months ago #12300

What if you set the deployment environment variable like you set all the other environment variables before you do the emerge?
7 years 4 months ago #12301
  • Thank you received: 23

Replied by Jamie Smith on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

That seems to have done the trick. My wife's computer is still on el capitan, and when I open the dmg from the other day on it I see that little ( / ) over the icon, but with the variable exported as 10.10 I was able to open and run it. I replaced the one out on my dropbox (www.dropbox.com/s/eoqstbm3uw3ozbc/kstars.dmg?dl=0) with the new one.

I did a brew upgrade and it didn't bump my jasper version - not sure why we have the discrepancy.

Stephane - can you try the script again on your machine? One of the searches that I did for the crash - this part:
Time Awake Since Boot: 770000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        12  Thread (pooled)

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Illegal instruction: 4
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4
Terminating Process:   exc handler [0]
seemed to lean towards that same target thing (stackoverflow.com/questions/14268887/wha...acosx-version-min-10)

I did notice one thing - when I ran on my wife's computer and went through the settings stuff (the data dir and such) I saw this:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
7 years 4 months ago #12310
Attachments:
Time to create page: 0.436 seconds