INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos on Mac OS X ?

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by Sean Houghton on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

I'm finally back in action on macos and I've got the official mainline kstars building - but the resources aren't copied into the data folder as part of the build so they don't get copied to the Application Support folder on application start. Is this expected to run without a packaging or install build?

Also, are you guys keeping a forked git repo or branch with all of the OSX work you've done? It's getting difficult to keep track of the progress in this gigantic thread :)
7 years 4 months ago #12492
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 809

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Our main plan is to use this script written by Jamie to set everything up whether you are doing development or making a deployable disk image:

github.com/jamiesmith/kstars-on-osx.

There are two options, the cmake version and the "emerge" version. The emerge version is meant for deployment and the cmake version is meant for coding.

Ages ago, we used cmake along with a list of instructions (which I based on your original instructions) that we were refining to make it all work. We refined it all through several iterations and I did a ton of kstars coding until we got everything working, icons, windows, Indiserver, astrometry, and xplanet. Then I found out about emerge, which simplified everything, sped things up a bit, and even fixed some problems. Around that time, I also had the idea that we could bundle it up (including indi, astrometry, xplanet, etc) and make everything very simple for the end user. Most end users would never want to deal with home-brew let alone editing code. While I was doing the c++ coding, Stephane learned how to bundle everything up in the dmg and make it deployable. And Jamie wrote a script for us so that all we have to do to deploy the app to a dmg is run his script.

In fact, now all the end user has to do is download our dmg, and the data directory gets copied to the right place the first time they open kstars and astrometry.net is ready to function (except that the end user needs to download and install some index files). And if they want gsc to work with simulators, they need to download and install it to their data directory. We are still thinking about how to make these last steps easier.

The problem with the emerge version is that it doesn't make a way that you can edit and test kstars code like I needed to do, so I was still relying on our outdated series of steps to install via cmake, even though we had fixed several problems in the emerge based version that made it work perfectly. When I got my new MacBook Pro, I was having trouble getting my original steps to work. So I asked Jamie to write into his script the ability to use cmake for the last part instead of emerge. He did it, but there were still problems and Stephane and I worked over the last couple of days to get it working fully. I got stuck yesterday, but Stephane cracked it using some great sleuthing. Now I have a fully working editable kstars on my computer from Jamie's script. I posted the steps today. Unfortunately, the steps must be run prior to his script because it doesn't yet include Stephane's solution. I will get a link for you to the steps that worked for me.

The emerge version worked yesterday and produced a perfectly workable dmg! But somebody in the emerge team decide to change the name of emerge to craft today, breaking Jamie's script. The problem will be solved in the near future, but for now it won't work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
7 years 4 months ago #12493

To follow up my last post, here is a (mostly) working dmg, ready to go. It can be used on a Mac with El Capitan or Sierra and it has an internal Indi server. One problem is that I think it does not have the astrometry folder in there, because at the time I think they were testing some things and disabled the copy of the astrometry folder into the app bundle.

www.indilib.org/forum/ekos/525-ekos-on-m...tml?start=1032#12486

And here is my list of steps for getting things set up for Jamie's script (at least until Jamie incorporates some of it). Note that this is a way to shortcut the brew qt5 with dbus installation which takes forever and instead uses the version of qt that downloads with Qt Creator. At the end, I still had to copy in the astrometry folder, the data folder, and the xplanet folder because Jamie hasn't added that to the cmake version of his script yet (but it is in the emerge version if you want to see what is needed ~ line 507 in build-kstars.sh). Or you can just do what I do, keep a copy of the stuff that needs to go into the app bundle on your desktop and whenever they disable the copying due to testing something it is right there ready to copy into the app bundle.

www.indilib.org/forum/ekos/525-ekos-on-m...tml?start=1020#12470

If it helps here is the structure of our app bundle:
The Data directory files go into /Contents/Resources/data/ and will be copied into their proper place in application support on application start if they are not there yet.
The Indi drivers and xml files all go into /Contents/MacOS/indi/ and you can just copy and paste them there from /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/share/indi .
The astrometry files all go into /Contents/MacOS/astrometry/ and what you need to copy is the bin and lib folders from the brew astrometry.net to make it work
The astrometry.cfg file goes into /Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/. Don't worry about the add_path variable, it will be set properly on application start and/or when you try to use the offline plate solver.
Any astrometry.net index files need to be placed into ~/Library/Application Support/Astrometry/. You can even use the Cloudmakers software to download them and install them since it uses the same location.
The xplanet files go into /Contents/MacOS/xplanet and all you need is the bin and share folders to make it work.
Your planet textures go into /Contents/MacOS/xplanet/share/xplanet/images/
GSC gets placed into the data directory in ~/Library/Application Support/kstars/

Stephane and Jamie, please correct me if I am wrong on any of this. I think I got it right. Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
7 years 4 months ago #12494
  • Thank you received: 23

Replied by Jamie Smith on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

I did the equivalent of the above sed commands, but something didn't work for me -
brew install haraldf/kf5/kf5-kauth
==> Installing kf5-kauth from haraldf/kf5
==> Downloading http://download.kde.org/stable/frameworks/5.25/kauth-5.25.0.tar.xz
Already downloaded: /Users/jamie/Library/Caches/Homebrew/kf5-kauth-5.25.0.tar.xz
==> cmake . -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/Users/jamie/Qt5.7.0/5.7/clang_64/ -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS_RELEASE=-DNDEBUG -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE=-DNDEBUG -DCMAKE_INSTALL
Last 15 lines from /Users/jamie/Library/Logs/Homebrew/kf5-kauth/01.cmake:
  Could not find a package configuration file provided by "KF5CoreAddons"
  (requested version 5.25.0) with any of the following names:

KF5CoreAddonsConfig.cmake
    kf5coreaddons-config.cmake

Add the installation prefix of "KF5CoreAddons" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
  "KF5CoreAddons_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files.  If
  "KF5CoreAddons" provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it
  has been installed.

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/tmp/kf5-kauth-20161121-1328-cdgkfx/kauth-5.25.0/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/tmp/kf5-kauth-20161121-1328-cdgkfx/kauth-5.25.0/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".

If reporting this issue please do so at (not Homebrew/brew or Homebrew/core):
https://github.com/haraldf/homebrew-kf5/issues

These open issues may also help:
failed to build kf5-kconfigwidgets, missing /usr/local/lib/libexec/kauth/kauth-policy-gen.app/Contents/MacOS/kauth-policy-gen https://github.com/haraldF/homebrew-kf5/issues/34

How did you get past that? Did you see that?

EDIT- I think I got it -
brew install haraldf/kf5/kf5-kcoreaddons
brew link --overwrite kf5-kcoreaddons
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Jamie Smith.
7 years 4 months ago #12500

Sorry, I missed one! I had to do that a couple of times, I wrote in the other two so it would do them beforehand, but I must have forgotten about that one.
7 years 4 months ago #12501

Well, the install of the kf5 stuff simply didn't work for me. pretty much all of the installs failed.

I keep getting things like this:
Last 15 lines from /Users/jamie/Library/Logs/Homebrew/kf5-kconfigwidgets/01.cmake:

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:13 (find_package):
  Could not find a package configuration file provided by "Qt5" (requested
  version 5.5.0) with any of the following names:

Qt5Config.cmake
    qt5-config.cmake

Add the installation prefix of "Qt5" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set "Qt5_DIR"
  to a directory containing one of the above files.  If "Qt5" provides a
  separate development package or SDK, be sure it has been installed.

See also "/tmp/kf5-kconfigwidgets-20161121-51114-wfcr4e/kconfigwidgets-5.25.0/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

failed to build kf5-kconfigwidgets, missing /usr/local/lib/libexec/kauth/kauth-policy-gen.app/Contents/MacOS/kauth-policy-gen https://github.com/haraldF/homebrew-kf5/issues/34

When you both installed qt did you use the online or offline installer? I am wondering if they are actually doing something different.
7 years 4 months ago #12502
  • Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Well this is strange, I used the offline installer of Qt5.
OK, I battled to get the all KF5 stuff to be installed, there was an order.

Let me look on the MBA, maybe I forgot to copy a step here.
7 years 4 months ago #12504

can you run:
brew install haraldf/kf5/kf5-kauth

I have checked my MBA and I don't see any missing steps.
7 years 4 months ago #12505

Have you done the following too?

brew tap haraldf/kf5
cd /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/haraldf/homebrew-kf5
sed -i '.bak' 's/*args/"-DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=\/Users\/rlancaste\/Qt\/5.7\/clang_64\/", *args/g' *.rb
sed -i '.bak' '/depends_on "qt5"/,/^/d' *.rb
brew link --force gettext

change rlancaste with your username, and the right path to Qt5
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Gonzothegreat.
7 years 4 months ago #12506

Yeah, I have tried several different variations. I tweaked it a bit to get info from the env:
substitute=$Qt5_DIR/
echo $substitute

count=$(cat *.rb | grep -c CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH)
if [ $count -le 1 ]
then
    echo "Hacking kf5 Files"
    sed -i '' "s@*args@\"-DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=${substitute}\", *args@g" *.rb
    sed -i '' '/depends_on "qt5"/,/^/d' *.rb
else
    echo "kf5 Files already hacked, skipping"
fi

so my homebrew-kf5/kf5-kauth.rb looks like
require "formula"

class Kf5Kauth < Formula
  url "http://download.kde.org/stable/frameworks/5.25/kauth-5.25.0.tar.xz"
  sha256 "1d62b32d88ba6c1e71e7b3ef67366710b9ce4488bcf82280fbe70d79b52f963a"
  homepage "http://www.kde.org/"

head 'git://anongit.kde.org/kauth.git'

depends_on "cmake" => :build
  depends_on "haraldf/kf5/kf5-extra-cmake-modules" => :build

def install
    args = std_cmake_args

system "cmake", ".", "-DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/Users/jamie/Qt5.7.0/5.7/clang_64/bin/", *args
    system "make", "install"
    prefix.install "install_manifest.txt"

mkdir_p "#{HOMEBREW_PREFIX}/lib/kde5/libexec"
    ln_sf "#{lib}/kde5/libexec/kauth-policy-gen.app", "#{HOMEBREW_PREFIX}/lib/kde5/libexec/"
  end
end

which fails:
==> Installing kf5-kauth from haraldf/kf5
==> Installing dependencies for haraldf/kf5/kf5-kauth: haraldf/kf5/kf5-extra-cmake-modules
==> Installing haraldf/kf5/kf5-kauth dependency: haraldf/kf5/kf5-extra-cmake-modules
==> Downloading http://download.kde.org/stable/frameworks/5.25/extra-cmake-modules-5.25.0.tar.xz
==> Downloading from http://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/kde/stable/frameworks/5.25/extra-cmake-modules-5.25.0.tar.xz
######################################################################## 100.0%
==> cmake . -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS_RELEASE=-DNDEBUG -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE=-DNDEBUG -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local/Cellar/kf5-extra-cmake-modules/5.25.
==> make install
?  /usr/local/Cellar/kf5-extra-cmake-modules/5.25.0: 52 files, 271K, built in 6 seconds
==> Installing haraldf/kf5/kf5-kauth
==> Downloading http://download.kde.org/stable/frameworks/5.25/kauth-5.25.0.tar.xz
==> Downloading from http://mirror.cc.columbia.edu/pub/software/kde/stable/frameworks/5.25/kauth-5.25.0.tar.xz
######################################################################## 100.0%
==> cmake . -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/Users/jamie/Qt5.7.0/5.7/clang_64/bin/ -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS_RELEASE=-DNDEBUG -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE=-DNDEBUG -DCMAKE_INS
Last 15 lines from /Users/jamie/Library/Logs/Homebrew/kf5-kauth/01.cmake:

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:13 (find_package):
  Could not find a package configuration file provided by "Qt5" (requested
  version 5.5.0) with any of the following names:

Qt5Config.cmake
    qt5-config.cmake

Add the installation prefix of "Qt5" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set "Qt5_DIR"
  to a directory containing one of the above files.  If "Qt5" provides a
  separate development package or SDK, be sure it has been installed.

See also "/tmp/kf5-kauth-20161121-5664-mk5229/kauth-5.25.0/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

I wonder why it looks like it is trying to find version 5.5
7 years 4 months ago #12508

If you have teamplayer, I could try to login to your machine and see if I can figure it out remotely.
7 years 4 months ago #12510

I don't have that.

When you installed qt, what all did you install? Everything, or only the defaults that were already selected?

EDIT -
I might have found it - I had to set my path to:
-DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/Users/jamie/Qt5.7.0/5.7/clang_64/lib/cmake

rather than -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/Users/jamie/Qt5.7.0/5.7/clang_64/bin

what do you have in that bin dir? I have:
ls -1 /Users/jamie/Qt5.7.0/5.7/clang_64/bin
Assistant.app
Designer.app
Linguist.app
canbusutil
fixqt4headers.pl
lconvert
licheck_mac
lrelease
lupdate
macchangeqt
macdeployqt
moc
pixeltool.app
qcollectiongenerator
qdbus
qdbuscpp2xml
qdbusviewer.app
qdbusxml2cpp
qdoc
qgltf
qhelpconverter
qhelpgenerator
qlalr
qmake
qml.app
qmleasing
qmlimportscanner
qmllint
qmlmin
qmlplugindump
qmlprofiler
qmlscene
qmltestrunner
qscxmlc
qt.conf
qtdiag
qtpaths
qtplugininfo
rcc
syncqt.pl
uic
xmlpatterns
xmlpatternsvalidator

Or, better yet - what does
find ~/Qt* -name Qt5Config.cmake
return?
7 years 4 months ago #12511
Time to create page: 0.540 seconds