INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos on Mac OS X ?

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Jimbo S Harris on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Note that Python is installed by default on OSX; it's used by the OS. On my El Capitan box, python was installed at /usr/bin/python, and is version 2.7.10.

For some reason, pip is not installed by default in the OSX version of Python; you can get pip at bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py or you should be able to sudo easy_install pip
7 years 2 months ago #13708
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 809

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Oh ok, I assumed it was the lack of python in general, I guess it was just the lack of pyfits that was causing the problem. Thanks!
7 years 2 months ago #13709

I just solved another problem!

For a long time I have been trying to figure out why the Image Downloader in the details window does not work, giving an error about not being able to find http in any .service files. I knew the issue was with the kde plugins for the internet downloads. I just didn't know why it was a problem. It turns out all we need to do is simply copy all the files from the directory ~/IndiRoot/kstars-emerge/lib/plugins to ~/IndiRoot/kstars-emerge/Applications/KDE/KStars.app/Contents/PlugIns/

I tried that and it just started working!

I will have to test it on my wife's computer though.
7 years 2 months ago #13710

I tested it on my wife's computer and the image downloader did not work unfortunately, but I understand why and I have started trying to fix the problem. Running the emerge/craft made the KStars app hard linked with some of the programs and libraries in the INDIRoot folder. On my wife's computer this file structure does not exist of course. Because I didn't have the image downloader that uses the other KF5 programs working until just this evening, I didn't know they were not working properly on her computer. The issue is that we need to copy more than just the plugins folder. We also need the program kioslave, which of course will need to have the install_name_tool run on it. I did manage to do that manually and that part worked. And there are a couple of other programs and dylibs in the app bundle that still need to have the tool run on them too in order for the image downloads to work on her computer. Luckily I have Jamie's script for automation. I copied the section where he did the install name tool so that I could run it on folders/programs that need it run in a fast and automated way. But there are more I haven't done yet, so It will probably be at least another day till I have the image downloader working on a non-development computer.

I have been looking at this website, which is the script that Kate uses to finish up their Mac app. It is possible that, if we set the right flags and environment variables, the macdeployqt program could do some of the file copying and install_name_tool changes for us, since I believe that is largely what it is meant to do. github.com/KDE/kate/blob/master/mac/emerge-deploy.sh
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Rob Lancaster.
7 years 2 months ago #13711

I am working on getting these changes into Jamie's script as best I can. I hope Jamie gets well soon so he can check my work ;-). Through experimentation I found out that for the macdeployqt command, -executable does seem to work well (at least it seemed to do something for kioslave) and we might want to do some more with that. the -extra plugins command did nothing really, except break the deployment step because it did not recognize it. I ended up just copying the plugins and that worked fine.
7 years 2 months ago #13731
  • Thank you received: 23

Replied by Jamie Smith on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

I am actually traveling again, in Sweden this week.

Don't forget that you are listed as a contributor on the github repo - make a branch (not a fork) for your changes, and check them in! when you have it where you want it submit a pull request, and I will do some diffs and perhaps comment on enhancement.

I should be able to look at it next week :)
7 years 2 months ago #13740

Ok, sounds good. Thanks Jamie. I will try to do so. I haven't done it before so we will see how it goes. I will probably do a little more work on it tonight before I try to post it.
7 years 2 months ago #13751

So I worked out a bunch of issues in the last couple of days.

1. In trying to solve the issue with Image downloading from the details window, I explained before I had to copy the plugins. But while that worked on my computer, it did not work on my wife's computer. I found that the reason why was that they were pointing to libraries and files in the INDIRoot folder which was on my computer not hers. So I added those plugins to the list of files to be run through the Install_name_tool.

2. In exploring the problem above, I finally found out that it would be better to use @loader_path instead of @executable_path in that tool because Jamie's script determines the location of the dylib files from the file it is running the install_name_tool from, rather than the executable that is running that file. In other words, while the @executable_path works great for direct dependencies of executables, it doesn't work for the dependencies of dylibs. @loader_path would then use the path from the executable or the dylib, whichever called on the dependency. So I changed that in the script.

3. Then I discovered the reason why I was having trouble with libindi, libnova, and libcfitsio files being copied into the frameworks folder. Jamie's script was using this command to find them: filename=$(find /usr/local -name "${base}"). The problem is that it was returning multiple results, so when you tried to use the cp command, it didn't work because the string for the filename contained multiple files. So I modified it to take the first one it finds. We might want to change this later, and it may not be the correct way to do it, I don't know, but for now it seems to fix the problem. filename=$(echo $(find /usr/local -name "${base}")| cut -d" " -f1)

4. After that, I decided to try working on the dmg to make it pretty. So I used this website as a reference and modified our code at the end of the script to make a nice dmg. community.kde.org/Marble/MacPackaging

I now have a great working dmg that I built on my old Mac that should work perfectly on both newer and older Macs!

Note, that this was built with my old Mac running El Capitan. If I try to run Jamie's script on my new Mac, it also produces a dmg that mostly works great on both my new and old Mac and my wife's computer. But if I try to connect to an indiserver and take an exposure, it still says Illegal instruction:4. Which means something somewhere is not built properly for older versions of the OS I think. But regardless, we have great progress. A fully working dmg!
7 years 2 months ago #13768

Here is a Screenshot of the dmg opened and ready for the KStars.app to be copied to the desktop or to the applications folder, or anywhere really. This app should be able to be copied wherever you want and run.

Here is a link to this dmg, which as far as I can tell works perfectly. drive.google.com/file/d/0B_ivMJINsdQ8SHp...cGc/view?usp=sharing

Remember though:
1. If you want to run plate solving, you will need to install pip, pyfits, and netpbm following the instructions I already gave you. Also you would need to copy astrometry index files into the ~/Library/Application Support/Astrometry/ folder.
2. If you want fake stars in the ccd simulator, you will need to download my gsc zip file and copy it into your ~/Library/Application Support/KStars/ folder.

We will probably want to next figure out exactly what we need to do to provide license and source code information for the various open source software inside to comply with the license agreements. Also figure out what causes the error I reported with the version I built with my new Mac.

I will post my changes to Jamie's script on the GIST in the next couple of hours after I figure out how to do that.
7 years 2 months ago #13769
Attachments:

Ok, I think all of my changes to the GIST are now posted under the branch robsMods.
github.com/jamiesmith/kstars-on-osx/tree/robsMods

Please inspect and see what you think. Also of course, please test the dmg! Did I mention we have a dmg?!
7 years 2 months ago #13770

I just made a custom image for the icon of the dmg and edited the script to automatically set that for the dmg's icon. It was a bit more difficult than I expected it to be, but it actually wasn't that many lines of code. The documentation out there was just not clear.

# copy in and set volume icon
cp ${DIR}/DMGIcon.icns ${VOLUME}/DMGIcon.icns
mv ${VOLUME}/DMGIcon.icns ${VOLUME}/.VolumeIcon.icns
SetFile -c icnC ${VOLUME}/.VolumeIcon.icns
SetFile -a C ${VOLUME}

Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Rob Lancaster.
7 years 2 months ago #13771
Attachments:

By the way, I found out yesterday that astrometry breaks if you put the astrometry files or the Kstars.app in a folder where there will be a space in the folder name or path someplace. This is not an OS X or bundling issue it is an issue with how "solve-field" is called when you tell KStars to do a plate solve. I fixed this issue before with the astrometry.cfg file. I will look into it. But for now, if you want to use astrometry, put KStars.app into a folder like the Desktop or the applications folder.
7 years 2 months ago #13785
Time to create page: 0.612 seconds