INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos on Mac OS X ?

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Paul Daly on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Hi

Thanks -removing the no-fits2fits option allows the solver to run, how do I remove this from the options permanently (it reappears each time).

I still cannot use the external solver (I have upgraded to 0.69 which runs OK outside of EKOS/Kstars) - does not appear to find the astrometry.cfg file as specified in the preferences pane.

Cheers

Paul
7 years 3 months ago #13994
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 87

Replied by nMAC on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Hi, mine was saved automatically after making a solve and exiting kstars. I only did that.
That's odd, I also configured the external astrometry and didn't have problems with the path.
Make sure both parameters are saved when you exit kstars.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by nMAC.
7 years 3 months ago #13996
  • Thank you received: 812

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Yes, specifying the astrometry.cfg file in the astrometry section of kstars options does nothing other than tell kstars where it is so that it can inspect it and report any issues. astrometry.net will still look for the astrometry.cfg file where it wants to look by default. It took me some time to figure that one out, because I had astrometry.cfg files in several places and I had trouble figuring out which one was right.

Here are the places where it will be depending on your install:
If you are using the OS X internal one it is inside the app at /Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/astrometry.cfg.
If you installed it from home-brew it is at /usr/local/cellar/astrometry-net/0.69/etc/astrometry.cfg.
If astrometry.net is installed another location like /usr/local/bin, the config file is one folder up from it inside the /etc folder like this: /usr/local/etc/astrometry.cfg

I don't believe this property can be changed. Astrometry is programmed to look for it in several specific places, the same folder as the executable, one folder up from it inside the /etc folder (../etc), and I think /etc/astrometry.cfg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Daly
7 years 3 months ago #13998

Yes, the properties should be saved I think.
7 years 3 months ago #13999

Just to report I have just managed to make a full capture session on the Rosette Nebula (24x300s), using calibration, guiding, dithering, astrometry and autofocus. No problems at all. So to me it looks pretty much stable for daily use. I have not used the scheduler. It must be tested.
Some bugs remain, in the setings as reported but still, fully usable.
I had a quirk with dithering, it stalled while doing but stopped and restarted the sequence.

I want to give a BIG THANK YOU to all involved in creating MacOS version, for your hard work, it's a great achievement!
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by nMAC.
7 years 3 months ago #14000

Excellent! Actually in terms of use, I have been using it for my imaging sessions for about 2 months now. But that is on a system which was used for development. The issues have been with getting it working on a computer that did not build it, and that has been, suffice it to say, a bit of a challenge. . .

But I am very glad that it is working great for you!! Right now I am working on the startup wizard. Not quite ready to have folks test that yet, there have been a couple of issues. Should be ready in the next couple of days.
7 years 3 months ago #14001

Bring it on :-D, will test it too, once again thanks for your efforts!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob Lancaster
7 years 3 months ago #14002

Every now and then I have seen a dithering failure. I don't think it's a Mac issue though, it's a general one.
7 years 3 months ago #14003

Yes, I think the same, it has already happened on my x86_64 version.
7 years 3 months ago #14004
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by Jordi Artigas on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Hi again,

I'm trying to use internal Astromety solver inside Ekos, but it's always failing. If I use external solver it works fine. I'm using internal Ekos Simulators.

From inside Ekos I get this log:

2017-01-22T19:33:09.264 - DEBG - Alignment: "Capturing image..."
2017-01-22T19:33:11.288 - DEBG - Alignment: "Image received."
2017-01-22T19:33:11.302 - DEBG - Alignment: "Starting solver..."
2017-01-22T19:33:11.307 - DEBG - Alignment: "/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/solve-field --no-verify --no-plots --resort --downsample 2 -O -L 17.39 -H 24.0257 -u aw -3 0.1875 -4 90 -5 30 -W /var/folders/_x/yd53fmss1x96gs83jbw0hph80000gn/T/solution.wcs /var/folders/_x/yd53fmss1x96gs83jbw0hph80000gn/T/fitsORC791"
2017-01-22T19:33:11.326 - DEBG - Alignment: "Reading input file 1 of 1: \"/var/folders/_x/yd53fmss1x96gs83jbw0hph80000gn/T/fitsORC791\"..."
2017-01-22T19:33:11.405 - DEBG - Alignment: "Solver failed. Try again."

If I run the same comand from the Teminal it returns this:

iMac-de-Jordi:Library jeam$ /Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/solve-field --no-verify --no-plots --resort --downsample 2 -O -L 17.39 -H 24.0257 -u aw -3 0.1875 -4 90 -5 30 -W /var/folders/_x/yd53fmss1x96gs83jbw0hph80000gn/T/solution.wcs /var/folders/_x/yd53fmss1x96gs83jbw0hph80000gn/T/fitsORC791
Reading input file 1 of 1: "/var/folders/_x/yd53fmss1x96gs83jbw0hph80000gn/T/fitsORC791"...
/bin/sh: pnmfile: command not found
augment-xylist.c:589:backtick Failed to run command: pnmfile /tmp/tmp.ppm.8LobBz
ioutils.c:563:run_command_get_outputs Command not found: pnmfile /tmp/tmp.ppm.8LobBz
iMac-de-Jordi:Library jeam$

I suppose that my system is missing some component, but I don't know which.

Any help it's wellcome.

Jeam
7 years 3 months ago #14015

Yes it is. I believe it is missing pyfits Try this from the command line:

pip install pyfits

and if that doesn't work, either install pip, or the home-brew version of python which includes pip

Also note that you need netpbm which can also be installed via homebrew.
7 years 3 months ago #14017
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by Jordi Artigas on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

It seems it is installed:

iMac-de-Jordi:Library jeam$ pip install pyfits
Requirement already satisfied: pyfits in /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages
Requirement already satisfied: numpy in /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python (from pyfits)

How can I install netpbm via homebrew? Sorry I don't know what homebrew is?

Thanks!!!
7 years 3 months ago #14018
Time to create page: 0.555 seconds