INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

USB3 may force me to move off of Raspberry Pi

• Thank you received: 420
Actually, I completely moved away from WIFI. In the field as well, no WIFI. I make sure that the mini-pc has a fixed ethernet IP address. Then I bought an ethernet adapter for my iPad and when I connect it, I make sure that the iPad has a fixed IP address in the same C-class network as the mini-pc. Then I simply connect via an ethernet cable. Much more stable and MUCH faster!

At home when I set it all up in the garden I use a 10 meter ethernet cable to connect the mini-pc to one of my meshes and then can access it via the same fixed IP address.

Wouter
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
4 years 10 months ago #39850

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
Hi all,

I use VNC server installed in my Ubuntu Mate... Instructions on how to do it are in VNC webpage, FAQ section. It's relatively easy to install and works fine. And is for free.

I use it also in my Surface and also runs very well.

Paco L.
SkyWatcher AZEQ6-Pro
Meade SC8 UHTC
TMB 80/480 LZOS APO
Orion ShortTube 80/400
APM 50 sight & find
Meade ETX70-AT
QHY183M
ZWO ASI290MC
StarlightXpress Filter Wheel
SestoSenso Focuser
Pegasus Pocket Power Box
... More coming...
4 years 10 months ago #39852

• Thank you received: 420
For a VNC server I used to use vino, which is the Gnome standard VNC server but it is quite hard to properly configure in Ubuntu Mate. So I switched to x11vnc which works very well for me. I used this tutorial for how to set it up:

tecadmin.net/setup-x11vnc-server-on-ubuntu-linuxmint/

except for Step 5 (Setup AutoStart on Boot) which I replaced with the instructions given by the user "Casey" in the third comment dated January 8, 2019 at 1:55 am.

For a VNC client on both my MacBook and iPad I use RealVNC which connects to x11vnc perfectly OK.

HTH, Wouter
4 years 10 months ago #39857

• Thank you received: 13
Hey, with greatest respect, please stay on Topic, this topic is USB3/AmpGlow.
However in a spirit of sharing I have started a new Topic on connectivity in the field www.indilib.org/forum/general/5278-indi-...ere-is-my-wi-fi.html
Enjoy
4 years 10 months ago #39859

4 years 10 months ago #39860

• Thank you received: 140

Actually INdI DOES NOT run on Windows, only Kstars / Ekos runs on Windows... :)
4 years 10 months ago #39881

Hi,

As far as I know, you can run an INDI Server on Windows...

indilib.org/forum/general/1284-indi-server-for-windows.html

I tried to make it work without success by the way... I only use Windows in a Surface tablet/laptop to control my Stellarmate RPI using RealVNC.

However I think that Windows will not any advantage over Linux or Mac as INDI/Ekos/Kstars is optimized for those operating systems.

Paco L.

Paco L.

Paco L.
SkyWatcher AZEQ6-Pro
Meade SC8 UHTC
TMB 80/480 LZOS APO
Orion ShortTube 80/400
APM 50 sight & find
Meade ETX70-AT
QHY183M
ZWO ASI290MC
SestoSenso Focuser
Pegasus Pocket Power Box
... More coming...
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Francisco Labrador.
4 years 10 months ago #39884

Yes that is windi, but does not work, the link posted above by Maxchess has nothing to do with INdI running on windows, as it will only run on a Linux or Debian based system.. :)
4 years 10 months ago #39887

You’re more than right..

Paco L.
SkyWatcher AZEQ6-Pro
Meade SC8 UHTC
TMB 80/480 LZOS APO
Orion ShortTube 80/400
APM 50 sight & find
Meade ETX70-AT
QHY183M
ZWO ASI290MC
SestoSenso Focuser
Pegasus Pocket Power Box
... More coming...
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
4 years 10 months ago #39888

OK thanks for putting me right the download link only gets you EKOS, I tested it linked to my Stellarmate, but did not try stand alone on windows, which of course does not connect to anything. I was fooled by the download description which says "Ekos astrophotography suite, a complete astrophotography solution that can control all INDI devices including numerous telescopes, CCDs, DSLRs, focusers, filters, and a lot more."
So back to the the topic, an upgrade path from the RPI with USB3. I want an all in one box solution, because the box will sit on my pier and control all my devices and I will VNC into it from a variety of devices. In my Obs-Shed checking that it doesn't crash while slewing, then from a variety of devices around the house.
I have therefore ordered a Rock64 pro with 64gb emmc, wifi, heatsink, power supply, case etc direct from the Pine 64 site. Its a a pain having to order all the bits separately. It ships from Singapore to the UK The Pine64 has lots of support, the Rock is quite mature and its aimed at the Linux market. There are several reports of satisfied users on this site

Wish me luck
4 years 10 months ago #39907

If you are going to VNC I to it from other devices and it PC’s, then what not just stick with the rpi with INdI on as a server on your mount with all kit connected to it, and (as i do) run Kstars from a more powerful PC or device and connect to rpi via WiFi to the INdI server, so as a client and server mode...it works perfectly and many do it like this.... no need to more powerful SBC at all.. :)
4 years 10 months ago #39911

I refer you to the opening post of this topic "I am finding that the USB2 ports on the RPI with files stored on the local SD card are too slow. I tried using a ZWO ASI178MC (Not Cooled) and got very severe amp glow" To get rid of it, you need to run USB3 speeds and to get full advantage of USB3 you need to feed fast memory like a emmc or an SSD drive. This problem is very well documented on the ZWO site.

Currently to get around this I have to get everything set up, autofocus, framing etc on the PI and then unplug the USB connection and replug to my Dell XPS with USB3 / SSD drives. Capturing with sharpcap. When I do this I get virtually no Amglow.
Hopefully with the Rock64Pro, i will be back to a single server.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
4 years 10 months ago #39912

Time to create page: 0.564 seconds