INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Small Buttons Trend

• Thank you received: 226

Small Buttons Trend was created by Andrew

I recently updated KStars to V 3.3.1 and I've noticed some UI changes within Ekos. I just wanted to address a concern with the trend towards tiny buttons.
My main concern is functionality. Depending on the method of interfacing with the UI it can be difficult to tap on a small button. For example a remote desktop connection on mobile or tablet. I frequently have to zoom into the screen to use them correctly. Computers also have a vulnerability whenever dew forms on a trackpad, fine control can get dicy. Certain misclicks can be a real setback.
Also, although it's a separate underlying issue; missing icons is still a problem that has not been fully resolved, at least on my system (LUbuntu), I now have a least two more missing icons (Focus In/Out). I found the large text buttons were easy to use to focus in/out quickly.
Generally speaking, I found text buttons are clear and unambiguous which is great for new users adopting Indi and Ekos. A common upfront challenge is understanding the UI and control panel. Basic functions should be as bold and clear as possible without reliance on tooltips.

Speaking of misclicked setbacks, I have on more than one occasion accidentally clicked the Done button in the Polar Align Assistant when it appears in the same location as the Next button following the final solved frame. They should be separated, and a confirmation window would be nice upon completion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Tate
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Andrew.
4 years 9 months ago #40639

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Small Buttons Trend

Thanks for reporting this, would you mind sharing screenshots to point at the problems you experienced? UI is showing a lot of features and it's sometimes difficult to fit everything in...
4 years 9 months ago #40657

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic Small Buttons Trend

Certainly. I've attached a few pictures. This first picture is how the focus module appears on my system. Note the small, blank buttons for manually driving the focuser. Previously these were large, clearly labeled buttons.

And here is an alternative mockup with an added fine focus feature for let's say 10% step size to eliminate the need to enter a new value below.

Also attached are other instances of missing icons.
Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred, Eric
4 years 9 months ago #40662
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 161

Replied by Alfred on topic Small Buttons Trend

I am experiencing the same problem on my laptop (icons disappeared) while two desktops are 100% OK. All three are running the same OS and KStars version. I used to run Kubuntu 18.04 and updated to 19.04 today hoping this would solve the problem but it did not. KStars Build: 2019-08-26T15:10:15Z

Two screenshots of how KStars looks like on my laptop. And hints re how to solve this would be much appreciated.
4 years 7 months ago #42592
Attachments:

The problem appears to be related to language support. Switching to English brings back all icons. Now, how can I get these icons in German?
4 years 7 months ago #42593

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic Small Buttons Trend

You have to have the “breeze” icon pack installed to get them properly showing in Kstars / ekos..
4 years 7 months ago #42610

Thank you very much for your suggestion. As far as I can see I have Breeze Icons installed. In addition I changed my workspace theme from Kubuntu to Breeze but the problem remains the same. All icons are visible in English (so they must have been installed) but the very same icons are missing when German language is activated in KStars. This only happens on my laptop, it's OK with my desktops. Weird!
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Alfred.
4 years 7 months ago #42615

Time to create page: 0.283 seconds