INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Unable to plate solve - Astrometry keeps failing.....help

• Thank you received: 41
Just a thought. Check in your profile editor that you have astrometry selected in the Aux section of your profile.
Mike
4 years 9 months ago #40659

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Hi Mike,

To clarify, I run KStars on my Windows 7 machine and SM on a RPI but only use the INDI server.

Rene
4 years 9 months ago #40671

As it turns out I didn't. I've fixed that. Will need to wait for the next clear night here in Sydney to test it.

Rene
4 years 9 months ago #40672

I've been having the same problem. Right now I'm just using the simulators. Ever so often it will work, but then fails the next time.

I've made all the changes to the settings that were mentioned above and it just won't work. The times where it did work I was on the vnc viewer. Downloaded all the recommended and required fits files for the fov. Changed every option that is available and tried all sorts of different combinations of settings.

This is with the latest stellarmate 1.4.2 that was released the other day.
4 years 9 months ago #40755

Please share the following:

1. KStars log (with alignment checked).
2. Screenshot of your settings.
3. Link to the FITS file that was captured. Link it so I can download and use your settings to see if I can replicate the issue.
4 years 9 months ago #40757

I figured out what the problem was. I unchecked the auto downsapler box and lowered the down sampling to 2. This resulted in getting results some of the time. When I slewed to another star it failed again. I then turned off downsampling and was getting solves on every star I tracked.

This was with the simulators (telescope and ccd).
4 years 9 months ago #40761

Ok thanks, I'll try to add this to the tips. Though it's usually the opposite, the down sampling was increased it led to better solves.
4 years 9 months ago #40764

I still couldn't get it to plate sole using remote astrometry from the windows kstars on my laptop. At one point the info notetification at the bottom of kstars it showed "solve complete" but in the solve window it still showed it was working on the solve and empty solution boxes. When I tried online solving I got a "connection refused" error message.
4 years 9 months ago #40766

Here is a screen shot of my laptop. The [INFO] message in left hand corner shows "solver complete" while the information at bottom of align window shows image received and not showing that solving has started. Also solution coordinates is empty.

I will attach the log file from my laptop in the next post.
4 years 9 months ago #40790
Attachments:

Here is the log file.

File Attachment:

File Name: log_18-31-59.txt
File Size:351 KB
4 years 9 months ago #40791
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 86
Same happens to me too. ANSVR under Windows is very inconsistent.
With simulators. Sometimes it solves, sometimes it just fails. With same settings.
RPI's solver although slower is much more reliable.

With real stars it (ansvr) is better but sometimes also fails (but works on the second or third try) while RPI's solver doesn't fail on the same frame.
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 3.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by maxthebuilder.
4 years 9 months ago #40797

• Thank you received: 41
Hi Doug,

I am not an expert on this but from your log the number of sources that you are solving on is very small (1-25). I usually reckon between 300-1000 is about right so I downsample to approximately arrive at that figure although it's very rule of thumb (over 1500 sources takes much longer to solve). I find the simulators do not work very well with astrometry (for me) so I don't bother with them. So I tend to set the telescope up inside the house but like in the field and use a saved image to Load and Slew to check astrometry is working. If its a standard 10 sec exposure I only downsample by 4 but if a saved long exposure 60-300 sec) I downsample by 8 as the star field is much richer. In the field I use 10 secs exposures and 4X downsample and it works well. Both offline on my Odroid or ANSVR on Windows.
I did have a problem with ANSVR a while back, it constantly failed after it had worked for some time. I deleted the ANSVR then reinstalled it (keeping the FITS files of course) and it started working consistently again and has worked ever since.
Try checking with Load and Slew (but be ready with the manual stop slew just in case it tries to go somehere below the horizon). Choose an image file that would normally be visible at the time you are testing.

Good luck

Mike
4 years 9 months ago #40801

Time to create page: 1.168 seconds